Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 month ago

Why do my legs tire faster when standing in flip flops as opposed to sneakers?

When I wear flip flops and stand for about 4-5 hours, my legs feel extremely tired and can feel very sore the next day. But when wearing sneakers, I can literally stand ALL DAY and the tiredness and soreness are minimal. Why is that?

Sneakers are meant to be used for long periods of time. They have the cushioning and support to help your feet and ankles. Even after a long day of standing in sneakers your feet will be tired, let alone flip flops. They have no support or minimal cushioning, no arch support, nothing. Your feet have to flex more and toes splay more to support you so you get tired. You may not realize it because the muscles are so small but it adds up. Your legs are constantly flexing to help you balance because your arch has to work on it's own. 

That is why I recommend wearing sandals with arch support and a heel strap. They stay put on your feet. 

Probably because flip flops have no arch support and your sub consciously trying to keep them on (kinda like clogs) if you've ever worn them.