Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

If a student confides to you that they don’t have a supportive family in terms of their mental health. Do you keep it confidential? ?

If they tell you that they’re not really present and get angry about their anxiety and not supportive at all. 

Update:

Student is 24 college aged

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would talk to cps if theyre being abused

• 2 months ago

You can tell the school counselor or urge the student to (admittedly, school counselors aren't really trained or qualified as "counselors"). In cases of low-level neglect like this, the best you can do is to listen and encourage. But if you have any suspicion of the student being in danger, including any form of self-harm, you MUST involve Child and Family Services. In the US, it's the law.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes.  Nothing dangerous about that statement.

• 2 months ago

If you think that the child is in danger from family, you as a teacher are a mandated reporter.  Talk to school counselor about it.  Is this a special ED student with mental issues?

Many of us have been brought up in dysfunctional families & we survived.  It may not be the ideal situation but it is what it is.  Ask student if he/she wants you to help with the situation or if they want you to keep quite. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lily
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I would keep a close eye on the student's mental well being throughout class and let them know that they can talk to you if they have no one else to disclose these things with. By the way, if a student discloses something very personal such as their mental health to you, it means that they most certainly do trust you. I highly doubt they are "exaggerating" or doing this for attention. Perhaps they are stressed due to the workload as well and felt the need to open up to you about what has been going on.

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This requires further investigation, because it may be exaggerated.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.