Atheists and Christians, how can we show respect and love toward each other?

OP said:  "Here would be my list of demands for coexistence"?

Well, we coexist already whether you like it or not, but with your so called "demands" you apparently don't understand the meaning of coexist in the first place so we can't even begin to discuss the rest of your post. What would be the point? 

Here would be my list of demands for coexistence.

1) No more violence/intolerance towards those who either don't believe at all, believe in a different god, or believe in a subtly different set of dogma from yourself.  

2) No more attempting to deny science.  You want to believe in your God, then you had best believe in the God of the gaps.  Stop trying to corrupt your kids and make them science disbelievers.  It's a form of child-abuse.

3) No more using the bible to justify your personal bigotries like homophobia, misogyny and others.

4) Correct your bible's many contradictions, errors, and scientific inaccuracies.

5) Stop claiming that everyone but you are going to hell because they haven't accepted Jesus Christ as their savior.  This is just scare-tactic recruitment.  recruit based on love and community, not hate and fear.

I've always found that taking off my pants and putting on a dinner jacket works wonders with a crowd.

• Jeremy

I can respect a person.  But, I don't respect an ideology that says I (or anyone) is deserving of eternal torture.  And I don't respect a mindset that insists someone who doesn't believe in God "cannot really love."

So, the respect on either side is going to come in on under either side on their willingness to examine if they have rational and demonstrable reasons for their claims.  And if someone is saying I can't love, for example... well, they've got a real uphill battle in trying to convince me they know my thoughts better than I do.

The verb respect means to admire

Latin spectare meaning to look at

And re- meaning again

Respect - to look at again

We do not admire atheists, nor is that a command from God

We ARE commanded to treat all men with kindness. Real Christians do.

Simple.

Stop the Christians from trying to pass laws based on their fairytale for a start.

Also, remind them that, even though they may have a deep desire to die, most people don't so get the idiots to wear a facemask, regularly clean their hands and, if they could possibly see their way clear to stoping their so called leaders from raping children.

Paul, one reason I do not really associate with believers, especially one lie yourself; you really lie. But then, again what you believe is a lie and it is dying and you try to lie to hold up your lies. Atheists know more about Christianity than believers because we have done the research and you have done nothing but accept belief in a book of lies.             @ Jimmy- Well stated, well done.   @ Larry C, like Jimmy said, "saved from what"? You don't respect anyone who is not of your same foolish superstitious belief.    @John, well done!  And, I also agree that the use of Anonymous should be stopped, and comments should be brought back. 

Understand that you have the right to your own beliefs but when you try to force those beliefs on others, make aspects of your religion part of public policy or use religious membership as a litmus test for who should hold public office you have violated the separation of church and state. You are placing your beliefs as superior to others. You are claiming your mythology is correct and all others are wrong. This will lead to factional competition and possibly violence. It also creates in vs out group psychology, "you are either with us or against us." 

So one step is to stop doing this.

• Paul

I do respect atheists as beloved children of God, which is why I cannot fail to share God's truth with them. If I didn't respect them and care for them, I wouldn't bother.

Well this question is a start. Thanks.

I would ask people to consider that polarising our viewpoints as though all the bad was on one side and all the good on another is unrealistic and unconstructive.