In California how much can an apartment complex charge you to use their own laundromat?

The apartment complex I live at is charging people 10 dollars to use the washer and 10 dollars to use the dryer. Is that legal?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

LOL!!!!!

i dont belive you!

• 3 months ago

Is that a flat monthly fee for access to a laundry room? or a monthly rental fee to have their machines installed in the hookups in your apartment? or is that the cost per load?

If its a flat fee for a month of access or a monthly rental fee to have their machines installed in your own unit then that's very reasonable.

If its the cost per load to use the laundromat then that's an astronomical price. Its not against the law but you can probably find a public laundromat much cheaper.

• 4 months ago

Sure it's legal--it's just ridiculously high. 

• 4 months ago

They can charge as much as they want.  If you don't like it, use a public laundromat.  If you haven't got the machines in the private unit you rented, this should be expected.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • R P
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Yes they can and yes it's legal.

• 4 months ago

They can charge whatever they can charge.  What's stopping anyone from going to an outside laundromat?

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Have you figured out yet how many ounces in a quarter ounce?

Feel free to use another laundromat. There is no max.

• 4 months ago

As much as they want.

• 4 months ago

Of course it's legal.  That washer/dryer isn't yours; it's common area property owned by the home owners association or similar.  That money you're putting into the machines will go in large measure towards the maintenance and upkeep of the machines.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

🥴 Yes. They're a private owned business. 

Which I have experienced too in Los Angeles county. Luxury Apartments dominate the scenery. 

You're better off getting a washboard and basin.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.