What does it mean when a crate engine is LS based or Ford based?

I keep the word "based" when it comes to engine swaps. What do they mean by that?

I know that LS is Chevy...maybe I should've said GM based...

LS = GM.                       

Based on a Ford engine or based on a Chevy / GM engine. It's that simple. Duhhh.

• not

LS based. General Motors has many engines built on the same platform. The LS is two out of three digits used for the option code, LS7 for example. Option codes are how GM labels options. 

Ford based could cover any engine made by Ford Motor Company. 

• Bill

Ford based means it will bolt up to Ford engine mounts, bell housings, and accessories such as water pumps, alternators, power steering pumps, and AC. A Ford bell housing will not fit a Chevrolet LS engine. You can’t bolt a Ford water pump on to an LS engine.  Etc.  

• arther

As you don't know what an ls motor is opposed to a ford engine I guess you don't need a crate motor, generally one has a vehicle they want to re-power when they buy a new motor.

LS is for Chevrolet.