Help for study of photography in Australia?

Hi there. I am a young photographer still in high school from Victoria Australia and am looking for some advice. I will appreciate any an all answers I get but to get some answers from people who have studied over here would help.

I have been interested in photography for the past three years and and now deciding if I should go into it as a career. If I were to do this, should I do a course on it? And if so what level of study should I reach for? Or would it be better to just do a course in business, or do both? 

I have no specific wants for particular photographic work such as weddings ect, but know I enjoy creative oriented and independent portrait style work. 

Any advice?

The concept of doing photography as a career is my dream, but I just really need some help on what I should do for uni.

• Alan

If you are serious about choosing photography as your profession, more power to you! I think that road will be uphill and thus wearisome. That’s because cameras are now fitted with computer logic. I am talking about automation. In the “good old days” we were required to make all the various camera adjustments, one by one, by hand. Now I am not against automation, it makes using the camera a breeze. That’s good because the odds of making a respectable image go way up. 

That’s bad for the professional photographer because everyone and their brother have and use a camera. The cellphone camera is now a way of life. When the world is full of picture takers it means, professional photographers must hone their skills more than before.

Now for the advice: Study compensation! Go to the library; study the portrait pictures made by great masters. I am talking oil on canvas and photography. The idea is to learn the use of light and shadow and perspective. Next, study news magazine with emphasis on image content. While at the library, pick books that explain the basics of the camera. Now we are talking, format size, lens performance, depth-of-field, lens aperture settings i.e. the “exposure triangle”.Luck to you! Photography was good for me and I like most want to pass it on.Ask your questions!

• keerok

A business course is a good way to go. Study and practice photography on the side.

• Sumi

Don't major in photography.  Everything you need to learn can be learned for free off of YouTube and for a nominal fee from sites like kelbyone.com or lynda.com. 

Instead of majoring in photography, major in a field of study that interests you and that will provide a job.  Photography is a shrinking field, and because of that, it's very competitive with fewer and fewer jobs. 

Unlike many types of jobs such as doctor or lawyer,  you do not need a degree to be a photographer.  What you need is a strong portfolio that shows your potential client that you can do the job and you have the style that they need.  Someone with a strong portfolio with no college experience will get hired before someone with a weaker portfolio and a wall full of diplomas.

Most photographers are not employees of a photography company.  While there are some companies that have in-house photographers, most hire freelance photographers.  Be prepared to have to be your own boss of your own photo business or work from job to job.

Because of this, I would strongly suggest taking business classes.

• qrk

Take courses that you can use to make a living outside of the arts. Include art courses as electives. If the uni offers photography courses, take them. It's difficult to make a living solely on photography these days unless you are talented and find a niche where you can excel.