Why would I need a VPN to stream legal movies from trusted sources?

People freak out when you tell them you don't have cable television and you prefer to stream movies.  I don't know how many times I've heard "That's illegal".  I asked at my local Library and they assured me it's 100% legal to stream movies on Hoopla with my Library card.  Hulu is supposed to be fully legal,  IMDB, Crackle, Vudu, Pluto TV, Peacock, and Tubi are all supposed to be legal.  

I don't have cable because I don't watch most of the channels they offer anyhow.  I'm a little concerned because my ISP (cable internet) wants to sell me a Roku for $75 programmed with their software then it's $50/mo. for the channel package and $4.95/mo. streaming fee.  

Since I'm not using their device or streaming their channels, would it be necessary to have a VPN?  

No you do not need a VPN to stream through commercial sources like Roku, Hulu, Netflix etc....

No that’s not necessary if you’re watching movies on legal streaming services. They wouldn’t be able to do anything, other then maybe slow down your streaming speed if you’ve used a huge amount of internet that month. And some people just can’t fathom not having cable because they’ve had it all their lives, even tho it’s absurd to pay for a tv service with commercials when cheaper non commercial options exist. If you lived in the UK you would have to pay a yearly tv license fee even to stream movies online, and that money goes towards the BBC and it’s programming. But in the US there’s no license or fee you have to pay.