Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can someone give up their parental rights to get out of child support?

Say there is a good case to having ownership to your child, including DNA, but you don’t want your kid so you file to terminate the parental rights. How is that legal? Especially if you HAVE the money to help, especially more than enough money (for yourself and 10 others) to help the child.  Could you still terminate the parental rights? 

14 Answers

  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If ONE parent agrees to give up their active parental rights they are legally still obligated to pay child support by law.  However under this type of ruling the law will allow the parent to reapply for their parental rights at any point in the future.  

    If BOTH parents agree to remove the rights of a specific parent for an adoption process then future child support is released and any option for future parental rights of the parent is given up.  Some people chose this method because they want to be sure the one parent is never involved again and the parent in question often agrees since they can get out of child support.  

  • Marvin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    No it does not work that way for the most part.  If your child is adopted by her new lover, and you give up rights to him, then you may get what you want.  Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck until he or she is 18 or 21.

    There is another exception. If the child is of school age, and the mother refuses to hand over copies of report cards showing that he or she is in school, then you can get child support stopped, or suspended, in some states. Some states will put the child support payments in escrow only, so that trick may not work.

    You can get a job in another country and never come back to the USA.

  • 1 month ago

    No, giving up one's parental rights does not normally eliminate their obligation to pay child support for their biological child unless the child is adopted by someone else.

  • 2 months ago

    No.  You can surrender your RIGHTS but your obligations remain. 

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Often judges won't allow this when it appears to be an obvious ploy to get out of paying child support. 

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    You can't escape paying child support.  If you don't want to be responsible for the cost of raising a child then don't have any.  Get a vasectomy or wear a condom.

  • 2 months ago

    They still owe the child support.  you can give up your rights all you want, you still owe the support.

  • 2 months ago

    That only works if someone else is willing to adopt the child and assume the responsability.

    Giving up rights doesnt mean giving up your obligation of support.

  • 2 months ago

    First off, we DO NOT "own" our children.  They are in our care until grown.  They are individuals and belong only to themselves.  Give up the rights to whom?  God?  Unless some other man wants to step in and take the child off your hands and you are willing to sign off your rights to an adoption, there is no way.  You are the father and legally obligated to pay child support. If you didn't want to financially support a child, why'd you have it?  Why didn't you have a vasectomy?  I know, you gave no thought about it whatsoever.  Your only thought was below your waist.  Now, you are getting f***ed for the f****** you did.

    Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • 2 months ago

    OWNERSHIP of your children?  Good god, I hope you don't have any.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.