Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

What is the point of having prosthetic eyes if you will just never see out of them? Isn’t this just a waste of time and money?

• j153e

Sometimes a person has a life-changing experience and looking normal helps them.  https://theworldnews.net/gb-news/woman-22-who-goug...

WRONG FORUM. Not related to philosophy.  Even someone with prosthetic eyes can see that. FAIL.

Are you paying anything for them? You never know what might befall you in your life. Then you can decide.

It keeps the dust out of your eye-hole, ya A-hole. ha ha ha

• Marli

It's like a woman wearing a prosthetic breast after a radical mastectomy. It's horrible enough to be blind or to have cancer. It feels even worse to be disfigured on top of it.  Self-appearance is important to maintaining good health because if you look at least normal to the world, you feel better about your self and your situation inside. You can then face the world feeling that blindness or cancer can't stop you.

So people with fake legs and hands should leave them off too? And people going through chemo can't wear wigs? 

• P

To ameliorate other peoples bias against the disabled

I don’t know about you but I don’t want to look at someone’s empty eye socket. I don’t mind if they wear an eye patch. 

It puts others at ease and keeps you from being shunned

Because while it's unpalatable, people will alienate you if you are too different, kids will do it blatantly. If I had lost one eye, I would get one because they can make a false eye that looks real and even moves with your real eye if the muscle is intact, if I'd lost both eyes I might be less inclined to bother but permanent closure of the lids would be necessary. The days of static glass eyes are gone.