qqq asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is lamb considered a "luxury" meat?

• John P

Depends where in the world you are. In Britain in the 1950s I grew up with eating lamb about once a week, even in the lean times of meat rationing after WW2. In some parts of the world sheep and lambs are totally unknown as native or even imported farm animals, so possibly some rich people in those areas might eat lamb expensively because it is the thing to do if you are rich.

• Zapata

Many answers here seem to presume lamb and mutton are just the same thing. As a butcher I can tell you they are not, they are very different types of meat.

Mutton is meat from a sheep at least over two years old, and at its best quality four years old. It has a lot more depth of flavor and a little more fat than lamb, but it can be also tougher, so it benefits most from long, slow cooking. It's perfect in stews and always really tasty.

Lamb is meat from a young sheep, always less than a year old but usually no more than four to six months. Compared to mutton, it is more tender and naturally juicy, but sometimes can lack much flavor. It has always been more expensive than mutton but is not really a luxury meat. Lamb chops are comparatively pretty cheap, although a prime cut will be much more dear than any piece of mutton. 

There is also sheep meat called Hogget, which is from animals between one and two years old. Its harder to find in stores but it is a tasty meat.

lamb a luxury , depends if you like it and the price compared to other meats . give me pork anytime .

Here it is, spring lamb brings a high price tag at the market. Some countries that is all they might eat and it is prevalent there. The quietest thing in the world is a lamb crossing a Texans front lawn.

• WOOWHO

LUXURY ( noun) the state of great comfort AND extravagant living

EXTRAVAGANT ( adjective )  lacking restraint in spending money , or using resources

that would be DEPENDENT and RELATIVE   on a individuasl  personal and Economic status or situation

• no, but it is very tasty meat

I live in the Midwest in the US and if you want lamb here, you're going to have to look for it. And when you finally find some, be ready to pick your jaw up off the floor when you see the price tag. So yes, lamb is a luxury meat in my corner of the globe.

Kind of depends on location. In the middle East, even the hamburgers are made with mutton. I like it OK, but have a real thing for rack of lamb. I would consider lamb the equivalent of veal, immature animals slaughtered at their most tender. If that is what you are referencing, yes, it's a luxury meat. If you are talking about mature sheep, no.

Leg is no more expensive than beef steaks such as strip or ribeye and can sometimes be found on sale for sirloin prices. ALDI near me has legs for $5.99 lb this week. Have had them before and they're good.

Lamb chops, and 'rack of lamb', however, can be pretty pricey, up in the ballpark with beef tenderloin.  And I do not see the attraction for the price.

Considered by whom?  Where?   What cut of lamb?

Mutton is not luxury anywhere.

Rib rack/rib chops are very nice.

Consumption and preparation of lamb varies greatly depending on geographical location and culture.