Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Who else agrees that if you throw objects at or physically attack a police officer, they have every right to shoot ?

If fireworks and rocks and water bottles are being thrown at police officers, if police officers are getting pepper sprayed, or shot at, those police officers have every right to start shooting. If I was a Chicago cop last night during the looting in downtown, if I was that cop that got my helmet thrown at my head, I would’ve started shooting at the crowd. All the police have to do is start shooting to break up looting, the second there are gun shots, the crowds scatter. This is why Chicago needs to be conceal and carry and have stand your ground like Florida, bet the looting wouldn’t be happening then. I strongly encourage  the police to start shooting these hoodlums, I’m for racial equality and against police brutality but rioting and looting and causing destruction is classless and at that point cops have a right to start shouting. 

• james

As long as the citizens have the same right I am for it.  Cops would be gone in a week.

We're supposed to be a "civil" society with law/order zxq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

And this is why you don't qualify to serve on the Police Force.

And, yes, I agree that the Police can shout whenever they care to shout.

Every PD has its own standards and training. But using non lethal force as opposed to lethal force is pretty much the go to everywhere. If you were a Chicago cop and you started shooting live rounds to combat non lethal projectiles you'd likely be in jail right now. 

Yes, especially if they are just trying to defend themselves.

No, using deadly force requires the officer to believe that his life is in eminent danger. Only then, is the use of deadly force legally justified. The question is not "can I shoot these people?" but rather "do I have to shoot these people to preserve my life?". Only when the answer is yes is a shooting justified in the eyes of the law and police officers are well aware of this.

I disagree.  Keepers of the peace should not escalate violence.  Cops being quick to shoot will only encourage more people to shoot cops.

If your country is attacked , one doesn't reach for the nuclear option straight away .

Get it ?

• Goerge

Yep, makes sense. Why'd you kill that man? He threw a water bottle at me. Water bottles KILL!!! man.