Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Would you be weirded out to get a small gift from a new neighbor? ?

I’m moving into my first apartment in a month! I was hoping to drop off a little gift to the 5 other units but don’t want to be weird or creepy. I was going to stay away from food and maybe do a little plant (with a small care sheet it’s a super basic plant we love growing, we collect houseplants) but not sure. What do you think? I don’t want to impose too much on someone with a gift 

Can you be my neighbour? That sounds like a nice idea, to give gifts to new neighbours. I see it in American TV shows and movies where a family or a person moves into a new home and the neighbours turn up with (usually edible) gifts to welcome the new people to the area. 

I'd just make it clear that you're doing this for all the neighbors so no one thinks you're hitting on them or something. Small plants are always nice. 

• Mark

Are you living in the past? Just because some one new moved in your apt complex does not mean you need to get them a plant. Some like people to live their live private.

Go with your instinct.  Some people may appreciate the gesture, others not so much.  In this time of COVID-19, your gift could be seen as a welcome distraction.

Not weirded out, but would feel guilty as hell instead for not making an effort to welcome the new neighbor.

• East

Don't. Just say hello to them when you see them.  Even leave a note under their door saying "I just moved in and would love to meet" and leave your email address and phone number.

I moved recently and asked a similar question and was told not to give gifts.

i dont see anything wrong with it, wish my neighbors were like that

Yes.  In the time of COVID-19, no one wants something from a stranger.  Feel free to ring their bell or knock (wearing a mask, of course) and introduce yourself.  Don't leave stuff on people's doorsteps in this day and age.  

Oh look, just DON'T.

Let them come to you. I would feel irritated to have a new neighbour force themselves on my attention like that.

Live there for a few weeks and gradually get to know your neighbours as you bump into them on the stairs or in the hall.

I wouldn't be weirded out, but I'd prefer not to receive a gift of something that can't be used up and disappear.   No one is sitting around wishing that someone would give them a plant.  If they want a plant, they probably already have one.

And by the way, the last time I received a plant I had to buy a bag of potting soil, a larger pot and a trivet.    That free plant cost me at least $30 in the first month.