Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Would you be weirded out to get a small gift from a new neighbor? ?

I’m moving into my first apartment in a month! I was hoping to drop off a little gift to the 5 other units but don’t want to be weird or creepy. I was going to stay away from food and maybe do a little plant (with a small care sheet it’s a super basic plant we love growing, we collect houseplants) but not sure. What do you think? I don’t want to impose too much on someone with a gift 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Can you be my neighbour? That sounds like a nice idea, to give gifts to new neighbours. I see it in American TV shows and movies where a family or a person moves into a new home and the neighbours turn up with (usually edible) gifts to welcome the new people to the area. 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'd just make it clear that you're doing this for all the neighbors so no one thinks you're hitting on them or something. Small plants are always nice. 

• Mark
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Are you living in the past? Just because some one new moved in your apt complex does not mean you need to get them a plant. Some like people to live their live private.

• 1 month ago

Go with your instinct.  Some people may appreciate the gesture, others not so much.  In this time of COVID-19, your gift could be seen as a welcome distraction.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Not weirded out, but would feel guilty as hell instead for not making an effort to welcome the new neighbor.

• East
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Don't. Just say hello to them when you see them.  Even leave a note under their door saying "I just moved in and would love to meet" and leave your email address and phone number.

I moved recently and asked a similar question and was told not to give gifts.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont see anything wrong with it, wish my neighbors were like that

• 1 month ago

Yes.  In the time of COVID-19, no one wants something from a stranger.  Feel free to ring their bell or knock (wearing a mask, of course) and introduce yourself.  Don't leave stuff on people's doorsteps in this day and age.  

• 1 month ago

Oh look, just DON'T.

Let them come to you. I would feel irritated to have a new neighbour force themselves on my attention like that.

Live there for a few weeks and gradually get to know your neighbours as you bump into them on the stairs or in the hall.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I wouldn't be weirded out, but I'd prefer not to receive a gift of something that can't be used up and disappear.   No one is sitting around wishing that someone would give them a plant.  If they want a plant, they probably already have one.

And by the way, the last time I received a plant I had to buy a bag of potting soil, a larger pot and a trivet.    That free plant cost me at least $30 in the first month.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.