Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

Is it ok to get a rabbit as a companion for my cat?

How do I train my cat not to attack the rabbit and be friends with it? 

• jean

it could be very dangerous

• *****

It is okay to get a rabbit if you have a cat, provided that they are closely supervised when the rabbit is out of its cage, and the rabbit is secured away from the cat when you can't supervise. A large sized rabbit is less likely to be perceived as prey. 

But a rabbit will NOT be a suitable "companion" for a cat, or vice versa. One is a predator and one a prey animal. They can't communicate with one another, and they won't be friends. The best you can hope for is that the rabbit won't be afraid of the cat, and the cat won't attack the rabbit. You also need to be aware that any cat scratch or bite to the rabbit is likely to need prompt veterinary attention as cat scratches and bites to rabbits often become badly infected and rabbits have thin and delicate skin which tears easily.

• Sandy

give them space and they'll be fine. over time they will sniff each other out and become friends. that's so cute.