Why does it seem to be looked down upon by parents for young drivers to drive a car older than themselves?

I’m 21, and I have a “thing” for old vehicles (mostly older than me). But ever since before I had my learners permit, I was always battling with my parents about buying an old vehicle. And it seems as though most parents insist that their kids drive a vehicle made after they were born. Does it have to do with safety and reliability?

BTW I drive a 1988 Lincoln Town Car. 11 years older than me. 

•  Don't worry about it. I'm 35 and my favorite vehicle is my 1951 Ford F-100 pickup that my Dad and I built up from 3 abandoned farm trucks. Mt truck is almost 35 years older than I am.

And my farm tractor is even older than the truck.

Look up video of an older car crashing into a newer car.  There's a lot of BS about "old cars are built like tanks" that floats around high schools.  Truth is, a newer car (or truck/SUV) will absolutely demolish an older car in a collision.   Parents tend to not want their kids killed in a crash if they can help it, so they frown upon their kids (who will probably crash at some point) driving a death trap.

The older the vehicle, the more likely it will need MAJOR mechanical repairs sooner rather than later.

So - yes - newer vehicles do tend to be more reliable and usually safer overall.  

Cars have gotten a lot more reliable and long-lived in just the last 20 years or so.  Older cars can be charming, but they can also be a money pit.  This is one reason their prices are so low.  If your parents are buying you the car and keeping it running, naturally they care more about economy than charm or coolness factor.

A 30 year old Lincoln, well you might be lucky and it would only be a gas hog.  If you weren't lucky, it'd be just one thing after another and you'd spend thousands in repairs in the first couple of years.