Phil
Phil asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Abe Lincoln wanted the black slaves freed but did he want them to have the vote and be equal full citizens the same as white people?

An did Lincoln believe in segregation ?

He did by 1865 after daily discussions with Frederick Douglas who had unlimited. access  to the White House.

He owned slaves and wanted them all deported back to Africa.

Lincoln never cared about the Slaves he said so the war was to save his Job the slaves in the Union states were Not Freed until December 1866 where Grant was told to free his slaves

Not really. It was sort of complicated. 

• xyzzy

He was opposed to slavery but as a man of his times would today be called a racist. . He though black people "smelled funny". He also wrote "If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.... I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free

• Marli

Before the war, he believed that the Black and White peoples would be better off with the Atlantic Ocean between them.  After the war, he said that the Black soldiers were entitled to cast their votes, so he must have considered they had earned citizenship.

I don't know if he considered the  Black people to be equal with Whites, but I think he was moving in the direction of granting full citizenship to Black soldiers and education for the rest. If they could show they were not stupid, they should get the right to vote.

He seemed to take cautious steps and feel his way through these problems.

(I wonder how he would have coped with female suffrage demands. Women had proved they weren't stupid; but American husbands and sons would not believe that.)