Christians, what is the sin of gluttony?

Does it just refer to food and drink in excess, or does it also mean overindulging yourself with lots of expensive gifts?  I like to treat myself, my family and friends to nice gifts when I can afford them.  Is this gluttony, too?  

Gluttony is an obsessive compulsive action. If your indulgence in expensive gifts seems to a normal person "obsessive and compulsive" then you might be a glutton of sorts. Those who abandon God will find themselves "Always getting, ever wanting. Always drinking, always thirsty. Always eating and always hungry". Notice that while not identical the concept of things and food are very similar.

• BJ

Obesity may be a sign of gluttony, but that is not always the case. One’s being overweight may be the result of an ailment.

Hereditary factors may also contribute to obesity. We should also keep in mind that obesity is a physical condition, while gluttony is a mental attitude.

gluttony is not determined by someone’s size but by his attitude toward food. A person may be of normal size or may even be thin and yet be a glutton.

Overindulging is wrong, but feels good.  Most sins feel great.

Gluttony is the over consumption of anything, hording objects would be a form of gluttony. 

Gluttony (Latin: gula) is the overindulgence and overconsumption of anything to the point of waste. The word derives from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow. In Christianity, it is considered a sin if excessive desire for food causes it to be withheld from the needy. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

In your specific case note the qualifier "withheld from the needy"  So buying nice gifts for your family and friends would not be gluttony generally.  

No, you have no clue about what gluttony means.  I suggest looking up the definition as "treating myself and others when I can afford it" is no where near the definition of gluttony.

Note: I'm not commenting on if gluttony is a sin, why it might be considered a sin or if sins are anything other than religious constructs. I'm simply saying that you have no clue about what gluttony is or why it was considered wrong in the historical context.