Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesLas Vegas · 3 months ago

Do you think it would be a bad idea to move from Alaska to Nevada?

I live in Anchorage, Alaska and I am thinking about moving to Las Vegas, Nevada. It just looks so fun to me. Do you think I would be able to get used to it? I know they are pretty different. Has anyone here ever been to Las Vegas? what's it like?

yes, it has been voted most fun of all other cities. 

go awayyyy or choose somewhere else. here is not the place for you, especially not right now....

no it's not fun... people live normal lives, it's not a party and fun times all the time....

Anchorage sucks. Bad weather, bad crime, and bad Democratic mayor. Las Vegas has so so weather, bad crime, and bad Democratic state politicians. Reno on the other hand has hellish weather, bad crime, and bad Democratic state politicians but at least you can go skiing...

People who are not independently wealthy and live in a tourism center do get to benefit from the many attractions and things to do. However, you have to work or study so it's mostly a regular life.  For example, I have lived in New Orleans for most of my life and visitors often ask me how we "can do it".  They mean party-hardy 24 hours  day.   My answer is "We don't. We have job and lives to live."

If you can support yourself there and son't mind temperatures above 110 deg F in the summer, it could be okay. Now is not a good time to go though. It's a virus hot spot for the time being.

• A.J.

I live in Las Vegas, writing from near the Westgate and Stratosphere and Sahara.

Covid-19 hit us hard financially. As a city based on tourism, we have no conventions now, no shows, no night clubs and bars, no buffets. Unemployment rate is high. Tax revenue problems. Lots of empty hotel rooms. We will come back strong eventually, but Nevada is the worst hit state financially in percentages than any other state, and Las Vegas is the anchor of the state with over 80% of the state's population in the metro. 

Las Vegas is VERY different from Anchorage.

The weather is arid. Summers at 105F days are common and extremely dry in single digit humidity. Winters are only chilly. There is no rainy season and virtually zero snow. There is only about 4 to 5 inches of rain in a year, 85% sunny. 210 totally clear days a year and very few overcast. 

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/anchorag...

4 months a year June through September is indoors, in cars, and in swimming pools. The heat and sun get brutal. We get our water from a lake fed from the Colorado River and there is a general shortage. Tap water is highly chlorinated and high sediment. We use filtered for drinking.

Normally, we have a lot of amenities available, as discounted shows, lots of clubs.

Yelp shows 4082 Restaurants. Excellent food in all cuisines and price ranges.

Probably now the hamburger capital of the world, but excellent in every cuisine, though great pizza is harder to find.

We get fresh fruits and vegetables from both California and Mexico.

Anchorage shows 240 restaurants. 

Groceries are cheaper in Las Vegas.

Fred Meyer in Anchorage

$1.66 Avocado, 3/$13 12pk Pepsi, $1.66 store brand bread, $24 30pk beer, $3.99/lb cherries, $7.99 lb NY Strip steaks, $1 sweet corn cob, $2/lb broccoli

Smith's Las Vegas

$1.25 Avocado, 4/$12 12pk Coke or Pepsi, $1 store brand bread,  $18 30pk beer, $2.99/lb cherries, $5.99/lb T-Bone steaks, $0.17 sweet corn cob, $1/lb broccoli

Average rent per rentcafe: Anchorage $1030 697sqft, Las Vegas $1107 900 sqft

600 sq ft 1BR 1Ba Anchorage Panoramic View Apt $795/mo. Las Vegas about $700/mo equivalent

Las vegas crime rate is lower, politics leans Democrat, better air quality in LAs Vegas.

But, question is about finding a job, and limited availability now.

Las Vegas is overall a better place to live, depending very much on job, and your ability to manage the long summer heat.

I think it is hot and in a desert.