Bachelor - need help with best method to bake a potato. Pierce, tin foil wrap, bake 45 minutes or so?

• geezer

I never wrap the potato in foil .. I like a crisp skin.

I cut a slit into the potato, going about half way through .. this makes it easier to 'squeese open' after it's cooked to add some butter .. and then I put the potato (wet) directly onto the oven shelf of a hot oven.

The time depends on the size of the potato, so keep stabbing it with a sharp knife until it's soft inside

• bill

Pierce and put it in oven but not just for set 45 minutes.Check every 15 minutes by sticking fork in it until it is soft as you like.

using foil wrap gets you a potato that is just like a boiled potato. No need for it. always stab with a fork. they can blow up in the oven or in your face when you remove from oven if not vented by stabbing with fork. the easest way to bake a potato is select potato, wash potato, stab potato with fork. Put in 350 degree oven and remove when its tender all the way through. 

• IvaB

If you like a "limp-mushy' skin then wrap the potato in foil.If you prefer a crispy skin, then scrub,oil and bake.

Sounds right. Cant really screw up a baked potato 

I don't know if it's the best method, but I brush the skin with olive oil, tin foil wrap and bake, baking time depends on the size, but 45 minutes in a regular oven should be good except for a gigantic potato which might take longer. They come out delicious.

I only buy organic potatoes since the others are sprayed with pesticides in two places when they are growing.

• Anton

I am lazy.  

Scrub a large potato, put in the microwave for 5 minutes, wait 3 minutes, check, repeat until done.