Does the phrase ‘whose truth?’ make any sense? Surely the truth is the truth, and the phrase should instead be ‘whose perspective on truth?’?

Holding a proposition to be true is merely believing it. "Whose truth?" simply means "who is the person who believes that?". Truth is not subjective and relative, mere belief is. 

Yes.  Things that are true are true regardless if you disagree with them.  The idea of "truth" is the collection of events have occurred or will occur and how the universe works.  Finding the truth may be difficult or impossible, and people have their own perspective on what the truth is.

• Tropos

"Truth" refers to a statement's accuracy in representing existence. Sure, as Mike W suggests, an analysis that establishes any accuracy can include some information/data/knowledge that only they know. However to call the conclusion "their truth" is not apt the way I see it. Even if I am unaware of the data that lead to a particular accurate statement(truth), that data, nor the "truth" claim is private. If the data is regarding a shared existence, then it's not entirely private or exclusive.

• Mike W

The phrase makes sense when you consider that each person's truth consists only of what they consider to be true.  Their version of the truth may be based on different data than yours.    

Absolutely right.  Bravo.

• P

Yes. Ideally truth should correlate with reality, but everyone's perception is different and this is where the problem starts particularly as our perceptions are very limited and imperfect. Everyones perception differs (some more than others!).

Throw in bias, belief, deception, manipulation, misdirection, and self interest and versions of the truth begin to significantly diverge.

Taking up tizzoseddy's point, however sincere someones truth is it doesn't preclude the possibility of them being wrong. In no way does this make them a "bad person" but it can make them dangerous ! Counter espionage can wins wars if it's credible ! 

"Who's truth" simply questions the credibility of the source, and their motivation

It makes perfect sense if you define the word, "truth" as, that which a person honestly thinks and believes. That's how I define it. I think most people agree that if a person tells what they honestly think and believe, they are telling the truth. 

It doesn't make sense if you define the word, "truth" as, the actual nature of reality. That is why I don't define it that way, and that is why, when I want to refer to the actual nature of reality, I call it "reality" instead of "the truth".

• j153e

Broadly, there are truth-claims.  Truth-claims generally are either corresponding to empirical 5-sense kantian data, or/and to reasoned axiomatic claims about reality.  A recent combination of the two (Kantian phenomenon and Noumenon) is panentheism:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism

As you note, truth has many fathers, falsity none.

My truth is I was on my bike riding peacefully when all of a sudden a car extends past the stop sign before it stops and hits me.  My perspective was to question the other driver as to why he didn't stop where he was supposed to.  His perspective was he didn't see me coming so thought it ok to pass the sign a bit to see the other traffic coming the other way. The cops perspective was not to give me a ticket for riding a bike (moving vehicle) on the sidewalk on the wrong side of the road. And for not stopping at the intersection like I was supposed to do.   His perspective was I was at fault too.  So I shut up and thanked the stars that I didn't get hurt worse. My truth, your truth, their truth is all a matter of perspective.  In the end who's truth is it?  The law's truth dominated the situation in the end. 

• Liz

Evidently Jesus knew people had their own version of truth. (John 18:37) So Pilate said to him: “Well, then, are you a king?” Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.”

He was talking about the truth of his Father, Jehovah God.