Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Are door panels hard to take off & reinstall?

I have to get a dent removed from my passenger door on a 2020 hyundai accent. I was going to try to fake the door panel off to save a bit of money rather than pay someone else to do it. Would that be a difficult job to do? Will it look 100% brand new when I put the door panel back on again. Basically, have you ever done this before and is it easy to do, did it look new afterwards, like it had never been removed

Update:

Take*, not fake

15 Answers

Relevance
  • hart
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

the electric is the hardest part

• 1 month ago

Unless you are a professional body expert, let the shop do it. NO it won't look 100% new. It will look like someone tried to do it that didn't know how. 

• David
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You will spend 10 times as much time taking it off as the body shop will and you are likely to break some of the clips holding it on if you don't have the right tools.  This is about 1% of the cost of fixing the dent so don't bother.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Let the body shop do it.  They will take off the panel, fix the dent and put the panel back on before first coffee break.  Every automaker puts doors together differently. On a 2020, where is the #ucking air bag.  Yeah another problem you do not want to get involved with.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

And when you get the door trim off you will be faced with a sheet of steel with small access holes through which you can see the window, window tracks mechanism and motor,  side guard beam, wiring and possibly rear view mirror wiring, door lock solenoids & wiring !!!!  And:  do  you have side airbags?

It's a new car:  take it to a good body shop:  they may be able to fix the dent without removing the interior trim . . . . but tell them if they do you want ALL original style fasteners used to reinstall, NO screws added  (often in removing the trim some fasteners break or the "technician" can't get it all back together again so resorts to some nice new screws for you to look at - tell them NO).

• 1 month ago

It's usually much easier than roasting a turkey or baking a cake from scratch. Most of them are held on with hidden snaps and the armrest and handles need to be taken off.

• 1 month ago

Drive the car to the body shop, hand them the keys and come back when they're finished.  Do nothing else.  You won't save any money by taking the interior door card off if that's your plan.  The shop can probably remove that in 2 minutes because they do it all the time and have all the tools to do it.  You'd probably have to buy a few pry tools (bye bye cost savings) and it would also take you a lot longer... and you might break stuff in the process. 

And if you were considering just showing up with the door detached from the car (I can't exactly tell from the question), then DEFINITELY just show up with the car, hand them the keys, and come back to pay when they're done...  Good luck 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Go through your car insurance for the repair

• 1 month ago

Oh,   you mean the Inner plastic or beaverboard Panel, not the entire door? Even pros bust a clip or one of those anchor  slots in the panel, they are usually on 20-30 years before anyone removes one. Clips are only 49 cents, a broke anchor, just glue the clip in with Shoe  goo, . I finally made a tool that works better than any you can buy. Handles are tough, too,  many just use a shop rag around the  handle end and pull away from it. Still can be a bugger.The clip must go back on the door handle/crank First, the bevel toward s the door. Push home. There is always a "hidden" screw or two, look under and inside the arm rest.

If you have Electric windows, I do not recommend it. I have removed/replaced entire mechanical regulators and electrical. Bad chance of the window suddenly sliding down and getting broken.

If you have side air bags, No. Treat them like  primed dynamite.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Pay someone else to do it. It's not worth the small amount of savings. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.