Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

Is my boyfriend colorist?(colorism)?

We've been together for 2 years, and I recently snooped on his old Facebook page to see what his exes looked like. First off he's medium brown and im like a shade darker than him. I noticed all of his ex girlfriends were either light skin black girls, caramel, or medium brown like him, no darker, but they were all black. He also makes rude comments about dark skin ppl especially dark skin girls and I believe he's making an exception for me because of my "good hair" as he likes to call it. He always tells me I look indian as well and he even asked what I'm mixed with? Does he sound colorist to you?

Yes, you should bring it up with him, especially because he talks badly abt darker skinned women. Maybe he is trying to change but isn’t completely there yet. But at the same time he may think negative things about you because you are darker skinned. You should explain to him that it’s a little ridiculous to be black and hate your own people in the same breath