Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

35mm or 50mm lens for Nikon d5600?

I already have the 18-140 kit lens, but want a prime lens...I mostly shoot just for fun when I travel, so I know the kit lens gives me wide options for everyday casual shooting, but I want something more for portrait or fashion like pics. Since the d5600 is DX I read that the Nikon 50mm lens will be more like 75 mm. Would this be a better choice or is the 35 better?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Use your zoom lens at the 35mm and 50mm settings to judge the sorts of pics which those focal lengths would give. 

Indeed, compared with a 'full frame' DSLR or a film SLR there is a magnification factor of 1.5 on crop-frame such as a D5600. Thus the effect of a 50mm lens on crop-frame is equivalent to 75mm on full-frame. 50mm on your camera is an excellent portrait lens, possibly slightly restrictive for whole body shots in fashion, but easier to reduced too much interest in the background. Might I suggest a few trial shoots with your zoom lens set to 50 and 35 (use light tape to fix it!) before you shell out all that money.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

For what?

General purpose? 35mm. That would be close to normal or standard focal length for APS-C cameras. In fashion, you can stay close to the subject even when taking whole body shots.

Portraits? 50mm. This would be short telephoto on an APS-C camera. This will push you further away from your subject, especially when taking whole body shots but great for portraits up close.

• 1 month ago

The 50mm will be ideal for portraits on that camera. You could go for a macro lens but the DOF will be shallow. Remember to focus on the model's eyes.

• Alan
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

This camera sports a format called "APS-C" (Advanced Photo System Classic Format. This sensor size is approximately 16mm height by 24mm length. The focal length we choose is based on need however all key off the diagonal measure of the format rectangle. For the APS-C this measurement is 28mm. 

In other words, a 28mm lens is viewed to the the "normal" focal length for this format. Wide-angle is 70% of this value or shorter = 20mm or shorter. Telephoto is double "normal" or longer = 60mm or longer. 

Now portraits are best when facial distortion is minimized. Most such distortion occurs when the camera to subject distance is too close. To avoid, a moderate telephoto is used. The focal length needed is about 2 1/2 times normal = 70mm. 

Now their are no rules in art so you are free to use any focal length. Your kit lens covers these portrait lens values so no need to buy a prime. By the way, a prime is valued because in most designs, a prime is sharper. However, such an improvement is likely never seen unless the displayed image size is super big.

Another reason a prime is valued is, they generally have a large lens opening compared to a kit lens. Such a large opening delivers a shallow depth-of-field that renders the background of portraits soft some say creamy. 

No rules in art, you are free to follow your heart. Professional portrait portrait photographers will gravitate to a lens with a wide aperture focal length revolving around 70 - 80 mm.    

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Most people shoot portraits with an 85-100mm lens, so the 75mm will be closer to that. However, your 18-140 lens already got both 35 and 50mm focal length covered. Further, 35mm lenses are rarer, less sharp, slower and more expensive than 50mm lenses. Therefore 50mm lens would probably be the better choice when you need a fast lens for indoor shooting and for portraits. 

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you want a lens more for fashion and portraits, then go with a 50mm or stronger like an 85mm.  The reason for this is not so much the angle of view as it is the flattening of the perspective.  A 50mm will have a perspective pretty close to the human eye, while the 35mm will stretch the perspective more which is NOT what you want for a portrait.  Here's a link showing how the stretching of the perspective by wide lenses and the flattening of the perspective by telephoto lenses (true tele lenses BEFORE the crop factor): http://www.stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdisto...

As you can see, a 50mm makes the model look better than a 35mm.  This change of the perspective does not change just because the lens is "equivalent" to some other longer focal length in full-frame format.  When someone says a 50 is like a 75 (nikon) or 80 (canon), they are referring to the angle of view only.  The perspective does not magically change.  Therefore, use at least a 50mm for close fashion/portrait shots.

It should be noted that the stretching of the perspective does diminish as you get further away from the subject such as when taking a full-length body shot.  So it's unfair to say that a fashion photographer never uses a wide lens, but it's is true to say that they overwhelmingly use a telephoto lens far more often specifically for the flattening of the perspective which makes people look more attractive than they normally do in real life.

Wide lenses makes people look less attractive or downright ugly depending on how short the lens is and how close it is to the subject.  This is why so many people ask why they look so ugly in photos.  They've only ever had they photos taken with a phone which has a 24mm or 28mm lens.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

For portrait work, the 50mm is better since the angle of view is suitable for portraiture work. You may want to consider the 60mm macro (expensive compared to the 50mm) which gives you more options (closeups, flat focus field, small distortion {usually macros have almost zero distortion}).

For general shooting, the 35mm is better. The Nikkor 35mm is sharp, but has horrible distortion which is strange for a prime lens.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.