What can I do to cure an ugly sump pump cord in my yard?

Basically our sump pump drains through a long black cord that goes across our whole yard to the street. It makes it hard to mow grass as we have to move it back and forth to mow under it. All around it looks awful and kills the grass under it. Can we burry it? Can we do something like make a rock bed that looks like a creek to drain the water instead? 

The other problem we have with it is there is a green grate that goes nowhere at the end of it. If we put the end of the pipe in the grate it just floods our basement again and makes the sump pump go off all the time. Since it’s not really getting rid of the water. If we put it towards the street that solves the issue. However someone who walks past our house keeps putting it back in the green grate. My guess is that somehow that was meant to drain the pump but it is either blocked or designed wrong cause it doesn’t work. What should we do? 

• y

My town has bylaws against sump pumps draining into the streets or the towns storm drain system.  So take a peak and figure out where it is legal to drain to in your town.  You are calling the drain line a cable, it is some sort of tubing or piping. Buy a hard walled one that you can step on, then bury it, shallow, across the yard and such. If you are in an area prone to freezing ensure it is pitched so it will drain completely.  As far as the grate and such, it may be on the towns plans or the plans for you home. So you'll be able to figure out what it is and what it is supposed to be doing.

NO, the pipe or hose through which the pump expels water IS NOT A CORD.

It is also inaccurate to say the pump drains at all. If it is physically possible to mow UNDER what should be a BURIED pipe, you need to have it redone.

I can nearly GUARANTEE, that 'y' is mistaken about bylaws prohibiting sump pumps discharging into storm sewers. In fact, I would be willing to bet that is SPECIFICALLY REQUIRED. The reason storm sewers exist is EXACTLY THE SAME as the reason sump pumps exist.

• Andy C

The pump likely depends on a siphon,  so the hose is necessary.   You can bury it,  but the end needs to remain closer to the center of the earth than the pump.

• Barry

Can't you use the water for yard irrigation? If you have plants that would be useful.

It's not a cord it's a PVC pipe through which water flowsyou shouldn't have exposed electrical pipes and you shouldn't have exposed water drainage pipes laying on top of your grass get yourself a trenching shovel and dig yourself trench and bury the pipe