Is being a car mechanic worth it?

I personally have been obsessed with cars, playing need for speed, other racing games with customizing cars to look good and perform well, I have always been into customized honda civics and so on. I decided to become a mechanic when I was in high school. I took co-op, worked with a mechanic for free, to learn mechanics. And quite frankly, I didn't realize how complicated ONE car is, let alone the hundreds of other cars that are different from each other. If you don't know what you are doing, you could be risking someone's life. You are working with heavy machinery, getting your hands dirty and greasy. Cars in general look complicated.

When I decided to stay away from mechanics, my parents tried to convince me to get into the field because it pays well. My cousins that have been mechanics for 10-15 years now, are making really good money, so my parents want me to follow their path. I was told to not worry about getting my hands greasy, and just worry about how much money is in my pocket. I tried going with my cousin to maybe try again, but I just felt miserable. I don't know why I suddenly felt this way, but I did. My dad didn't like the idea that I was passing up on the opportunity to make good money in mechanics, but I decided to do something else. Now I'm wondering again, maybe if I went to mechanic school or something. I don't know.

If you don't like cars, don't think about become mechanic, my advice choose your carrier what you like to do, not for money because you will do rest of your life. Mechanic,  you have to do a lot of work  and you always upgrade yourself with new tech. so it is not easy job like old days. good luck

I  ran into the same in A & P class. Only we had the FARs. Paperwork,  computers to dig out data from. I told myself i did Not sign up to be a 'puter nerd nor a bookkeeper, I wanna fix Engines. But, you gotta  look at the Brass Ring. You can't get a cert and just fix engines.

In  my class, you can't just do Avionics, it's the whole enchilada or Nada.

My present SO 's father and late hubby both were Ford mechs at the dealership. One in Chicago, the other at   Jim Click Ford. here. Both fine 'wrenches that got trusted to fix the boss' cars. Their jobs made for a reliable source of income and good pensions. She is no means "rich" but comfortable and no money worries.

Edit: A college  ed  often Closes doors.. Employers think you want too much money. etc. A certificate program that has OJT is a more secure way to get ahead. I wisht now I'd gone for a MC class  I  am  getting good at fixing bikes.  They are less  complicated than cages, and I truly love them like I do aircraft. 

Only in a big dealership in a large town is it worth being a mechanic. Small town mechanic jobs sucks! I know because I was one in a small town for 25 years.

Here's a really good post on the pros and cons of being an auto tech

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/auto-technic...

Sounds like a copy and paste troll story from a few weeks ago

• CB

Find a job you LOVE and you will never work another day in your life (as the saying goes). You don't love cars you love video games  - cars are complicated and rusty and abused. However, once you have done one brake job, replace wheel bearings an axle seals, etc the knowledge is there - and is not wasted - all cars are built with the same technology - nothing much new has happened in the last 100 year on many of the component parts.  Sure there are vast improvements in systems and there are vast improvements in diagnostic equipment too. Maybe give it a chance for 6 months and see if you start to come into your own. Automotive electricians are supposed to make the best money and not as greasy for certain.

If you're smart enough, go to college and get  white collar education so you can earn some real money. 

It's a very good trade and the better mechanic you are, the more business you'll get.

I think what you are actually struggling with is a fear of failure. You've described some of that right here. Being a good mechanic doesn't mean memorizing every part of every car ever made. It just requires knowing how to access reference material and to apply what you have learned. Your cousins have managed to do it so what makes you believe you can't? 

You bet. They make tons of $$$ if they're really good.