What is going on when a mechanic lifts your car up and shows you the bar from the inside of the wheel to somewhere can be pushed up by hand?

Not sure if it was a suspension bar or the "steering wheel turning bar", but it had a spring looking thing enclosed in plastic/rubber that went horizontally not vertically. They recommended towing the car home, and said that even though it hadn't had a noticeable issue besides what mechanically is going on, if I turned on 4WD it could.

Reply to CB: There was more work. Just didn't know what that part was. $3,000 total + they recommend I just go buy another vehicle. Personally I think it's worth putting the money in (it is such a hassle finding + buying a car, esp. in pandemic). Time is money. They were trying to help me "not waste money", but sometimes frugality isn't practical. I'll lose more by not being able to get to work during car search. Will probably go somewhere else and get it done tomorrow so I have transportation.

Reply to Anonymous: I'm getting scammed? Um... the mechanic recommended that I LEAVE THE SHOP AND DON'T PUT MY MONEY INTO PAYING THEM TO REPAIR MY CAR. Said it would be in my best interest to get another car, rather than pay them to fix what I initially asked about and everything else that my car needed. I've seen bottom of my car myself and it is quite rusty looking. Maybe they overpriced what it should cost to repair (but they actually SENT ME AWAY). They charged me zero dollars to look at it.

second opinion, and rent weekly for now, which will give you room to breathe. Weekly rates are very low, esp.now.

Showing you the problem was a waste of time because you don't understand. 

So you come here and ask us.  Our answers will also be a waste of time, because you don't understand. 

So what is your purpose?

• arther

Is it a jeep with a rusty frame? do as the mechanic said.

It's the tie rod. Replace it.

You are getting scammed here.  Get your car towed to a competent garage.  And I am surprised the mechanic did not tell you the CORRECT name of the part so this can be another TROLL story.

It makes a difference what car you have. Don't waste money on a 30 year old Mercedes, since parts are too expensive and repairs are all very time consuming by design. If you have a worn tie rod that needs a new end installed in a 10 year old Corolla or Civic, that doesn't cost $3000 and is well worth repairing. Since you managed to drive to the shop, it sounds like they're pulling a "buy or die" scare on you. I'm not saying you don't have a problem, since we can't see anything here and the part description leaves us guessing. They should have written a work order with parts properly named on it. I don't trust them. Get another shop to look it over. Tell us what sent you to the shop in the first place.

The tie rod goes into the rack and pinion and has a pleated rubber boot over it where it does. The CV joint, which is part of the axle also has such a boot. If he was talking about the 4wd causing and issue if engaged, it is probably the which is bad. 

• CB

Why didn't they recommend replacing it? That is odd - what are you options once you get it home? Tow somewhere else for a second opinion? A picture of the part would have been worth a thousand words as would make model and year.