the Battery in my 03 Camry is 5 years old - should I get a new one? And is there a way to check?

I don't fancy getting stuck somewhere with a dead battery - I'll get a new one.

this car has gone for 400 000 clicks - it will go another 400 000

• martin

Your batter should last 6 years.  You are close enough to get a new one for your own peace of mind.

Get a new car..

If UR Cheap Charlie like me, I'd get it load tested at the 'Zone . Batteries can last  6 years or longer IF in mild climates/maintained. In hot deserts or allowed to freeze with no maintenance, might last one. IDK your particular scenario.

• ?

You are right there in the average life span, in harsher environments, cold or hot 4 years is more like it.

It is not broken.  Do not fix it.

Have the battery load tested. Most car part stores will do that for free. If it check OK, live it up until it begins to get troublesome. Maybe you have a very high quality battery that will go a few years longer.

Buy a new battery before winter.  You can have the battery tested for free at any Autozone parts store.

Wait till it dies. Keep a set of jumper cables in your car. My bet is that the first cold morning in your area it will be slow to turn over or just won't start. Then it's time for a new battery.