Is it possible to get rid of a foreign accent entirely? ?

I watched a show of The Americans. Two Soviet Spies who live in the USA as Americans but how is it possible that someone who didn't grew up in the USA has no accent whatsoever.

Is it possible to get rid of an accent alltogether? 

• drip

Yes it is possible.  But it would take a linguist or a dialect coach to help you.  Many newscasters want to loose their accent and do so with professional help.

My mother is from The South she moved to Chicago in her early 20’s. I have never notice her accent, but many of my adult friends would pick up on a underlining accent.  Some of it has to do with terms, sayings, Colloquialism that are common to the region where she was brought up. 

• John P

Just remember that to a Briton, Americans have foreign accents!  And note also that American accents vary across the USA - Deep South, Bronx, etc.

Yes. Had a German teacher who was Latvian. You could Not tell he wasn't a Native Californian. 

Met a  Brit who  was showing  a   1924  Chevy race car  at our Dillinger Days.. He had a Slight lilt  and a Jag shifter  knob on the car's gearshift, I only had  to say: " Jag-yew-Ahhhr" and he broke  into his Liverpool accent. I think it's harder for those from the UK and Ireland as even if they lose their accent, n many words are pronounced/spelled differently over there. My great grandpa tried hard to lose his Swedish accent, at least in public. They spoke Swedish at home, but got called "dirty Swedes"  in public. 

Yes

You're welcome

• Zirp

No, it is not possible to speak without an accent.

However, it IS possible to acquire a specific accent if you work on it long and hard enough. If you live in the same place for a decade or two it is likely you will adopt the local way of speaking

No, it is not possible.

• Kenny

If they lived in a part of the US that their accent isn't common .  For example a person with a Boston accent living in Louisiana, any misstep would not be caught by the locals .

Yes, actors do it all the time. They learn other accents and use them, overriding their own accent. You need a voice coach to do it properly but it can be done.