Why do so many people consider religious to be a synonym for Christian?

Probably because the ones who make that assumption are Christians?

i don't think they do.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

I don't think anyone does. But I think most people who live in a community where the huge majority of “religious people” are Christian consider the word “religious” to imply “Christian” when used in that community.

For example I live in a country considered to be “mainly Christian”. In my own area there are no synagogues or mosques and I know of no-one”religious” who is not Christian. However, when neighbours were telling me about their time in Dubai (visiting their daughter who works there) and they mentioned anything to do with “religion” I didn't think for a second that the meant Christian.

Where I live religious means Buddhist or Christian or Jewish.

For the ones who do that (Christians), it's because of they think only their religion is the good one and too, their god is THE TRUE one! They refuse to admit men created many sorts of gods in accordance with their cultures.

Because Yahoo is American based and the most popular religion here is Christianity. If it were Pakistani based it would probably be about Islam. 

Cause many people seem to forget that christianity is just one of the thousands, maybe millions of religions there are.