Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 month ago

What's the best first instrument to learn?

My five-year-old daughter just expressed interest in learning how to "play music". I asked her which instrument is her favorite. She said the piano and the guitar. (One of her friends plays the piano, and her cousin plays the guitar. So, I understand where that came from.) 

I know absolutely nothing about playing music, so I was curious if any musically talent people can provide me with some insight. After COVID lockdowns end, I told her I will sign her up for some lessons. Should I sign her up for piano lessons or guitar lessons? (I'm not doing both.) In the future, if she decides to pick up the other instrument, is there one that's easier to transition to and from? Or am I just overthinking it? Thank you!

Piano for theory and whatever they want to play for an instrument whether it's accordion, guitar, lyre etc.

Piano is just good for explaining how music theory works.

In my opinion piano

Whichever instrument the potential student chooses.

If you want your child to become popular and become a famous musician, I would suggest bass guitar or normal guitar. Bass is guitar but easier and you don't really play much. If your kid wants to play solos or if they were inspired by someone then maybe they can play electric guitar or acoustic, classical etc. Piano isnt always included in rock music, But if your child likes classsical and calm music, You can let them decide if they want to play piano or classical guitar. 

You can try with a kids guitar, or a glockenspiel, kids drum, casio mini keyboard. Give her a couple of these (or all of them, have obviously reduced prices, all together cost no more than an adult instrument)

I agree with another poster about youtube lessons.  They can get people confused.

We are a family of four carreer musuc educators.  Together, well over 120 years of teaching experience.  The piano is easiest for such a young child.   I advise a year or so of a group (maybe not now . . .yikes) of KinderKeyboard or a similar class "play date" situation.  Or find a degreed, experienced, certified piano teacher - they work with young beginners, too.  There are teaching materials designed for early beginners.  A digital keyboard is FINE to start on if you do not have a piano. But just slowing a child to flounce around with no lessons will be very frustrating, and develop bad  habits.  A good teacher will keep kids interested and making prigress better than any other modality.  NO YOU TUBE LESSONS - often posted by idiots.

I would say piano lessons. It is a composer's instrument and is a good way to introduce a child to music and music theory.

...on the other hand 5 seems a bit young for trumpet/cornet...

Trumpet/Cornet, simple and easy fingerings.

Lungs are needed.