I have an older Larson storm door, about 24 years old and it has 2 locking mechanisms. One is stuck and I can't open the door by turning the?

latch or by using a key. There is nothing on the outside of the door to loosen or gain access. I've removed 2 screws on the indoor latch thinking maybe that would loosen it enough so that I could push the lock back but it hasn't helped. 

I've tried uploading photos multiple times to show what I'm working with but there's a problem doing that and it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

The inside handle is attached with an allen screw. Loosen that, remove the handle, then remove the two screws from the inside trim piece, along with the two screws from the door edge mortise lock mechanism .

Remove the inner trim.Pull the outer handle out, and now the outer trim & the mortise lock mechanism can be removed.

If you cannot open the door to access the mortise mechanism, remove what you can from the inside, then remove the handle & trim from the outside. Spray the lock with penetrating oil and work the square sleeves the handles go through, with a standard screwdriver, until you can open the door.

• Edwena

Well, my guess is that the latch is no longer made and so there are no parts or even a latch that you can buy that will fit.  But see if you can find a storm door passage set that will fit and will latch. Shop the internet and see if you can buy a complete new set and install it.  The problem with a storm door is that the trim piece is narrower than a regular door, and the throw of the latch is less that a regular door passage set.   And so much of this type of hardware is just junk.  Won't last a couple of years.   We have had this problem before and ended up just filling the storm door latch hole with JB Weld epoxy filler and redrilling the hole in the storm door to match a lock we purchased.  Repainted the door.  In hindsight, it would be better to call a storm door company and have them install a complete new storm door.

let me guess ... the door when closed prevents access to the hinges and their screws.  In that case, you're going to have to use a pry bar and if the door is ruined afterward ... that's just how it is.

• k w

did you try WD40 ?