I Only Applied for an Apartment. Am I Obligated if I Didn't Sign A Lease?

I applied for an apartment and discussed a move-in date with the building manager. I received the lease but never signed it. I changed my mind about the apartment and told the manager but am I obligated to that apartment in any way?

Update:

By "discussed" I mean we agreed on a move-in date, which was on the lease. But, as noted, I opted not to take the apartment and didn't sign the lease. 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Nope - if you didn't sign the lease, you don't have to live there. 

• 1 month ago

You are not obligated.  You told them you changed your mind and you did not sign the lease, so they are free to offer the apartment to someone else.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It depends on what else you signed. If you signed an application promising to take the apartment, and they took the apartment off the market on your behalf, you may owe damages. Because that did damage their ability to rent that apt. Laws about the timing of backing out varies by state.

• 2 months ago

No, if you didn't sign the lease then the deal was never made.  Just tell them you changed your mind and are no longer interested. This happens all the time, it shouldn't be a huge deal to them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • J
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You didn’t sign a lease, therefore you have no obligation. That is the purpose of a lease. If you paid any deposit to hold the unit, you won’t get it back.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. But if you left a deposit, you wont get it back.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

no..................................

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You never signed a contract so you are not legally liable .......... however if you paid a holding deposit and then as your changed your mind that is non refundable

• 2 months ago

Your signature is on NOTHING.   Walk away.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

What do you mean by "discuss"?   What specifically did you agree to?

Technically speaking, verbal contracts are just as legal as written ones.   The problem for your landlord is proving that the verbal contract exists.    Did you pay a deposit?   

My guess is that the landlord will leave you alone.   You probably won't be getting any money refunded to you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.