Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

What are some advantages and disadvantages to mobile home living?

I have been renting apartments for the last 15 years. This is after I became of legal age and moved out of my mom's home. I am tired of renting, and have considered lately to buy a new or used mobile home.

What are some advantages and disadvantages to these types of homes?

Where would  my sources of electricity and plumbing come from?

Would this be a better  financial option for me, if my income is seen as low or Instable? ( Would it be less expensive than let's say investing into a foreclosed home , or continuing to rent an apartment)?

Are mobile homes constructed in a clumsy manner, meaning that burglars can easily enter thru a door or window? How secure are these?

Can they withstand the weather? Rain and strong wind?

Are rodents and other pests more likely to enter mobile homes?

• User

Advantages:

- not an apartment (the Mobile Home is actually worth something, and as you make payments on it you acquire equity)

- if its on your own (owned) property, you also acquire equity on the property, which tends to increase in value (unlike the Mobile Home itself, which tends to decrease in value, which is the opposite of a "regular home")

Disadvantages:

- in a trailer park, typically low-rent neighborhood rife with crime and noise

- mobile home is not worth as much as a "real" home in equivalent condition in equivalent neighborhood, resale value is not as good as with a "real" home

>> Where would  my sources of electricity and plumbing come from? <<

In a trailer park connections are provided for each lot. If it's an existing home it will already be connected. With a new home, electrician and plumber will be required.

>> Would this be a better  financial option for me, if my income is seen as low or Instable? <<

Generally speaking: yes, a mobile home is less expensive than an equivalent "real home".

>> Are mobile homes constructed in a clumsy manner, meaning that burglars can easily enter thru a door or window? How secure are these? <<

That probably is an issue.

That is to say: not "the clumsy manner". Mobile homes are apparently typically well-constructed...but with regard to security, they are likely to be less secure than a "regular home" which can be very sturdily built and things like security doors and doorframes can be installed.

>> Can they withstand the weather? Rain and strong wind? <<

Rain and strong wind: typically yes unless the wind is VERY strong. Mobile homes typically have no "permanent foundation" and so are more prone to damage from tornadoes and other sorts of VERY strong winds. I would guess: that is also true of floods and earthquakes, which perhaps could overturn a mobile home but would NOT overturn a "regular house".

More info (worth reading)

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/buying-mob...

Mobile homes tend to depreciate but if you buy the land too you would be much better off.

You can do the math on the expenses, but somethings you may not be aware of is that you usually will have to pay lot rent, which will increase over time like any other rent.  Moving the mobile home will costs you $5k +.  Living in a mobile home can cost you a lot more in utility bills because they have next to no insultation so if you live in a seasonal cold climate you can easily pay 3 times what you are used to, and still freeze your tail off.  And with ownership, you are on the hook for all maintenance issues.  A mobile home is like a car that depreciates with age and requires more maintenance the older it is so if you buy one new, when it comes time to sell, you will sell for a lot less.  Lastly they tend to attract less than great neighbors.  Don't get me wrong, you can get lucky sometimes, but generally you get stuck living next to people you wish you didn't.  

you can take it anywheres you like

Let's say you buy a trailer/mobile home.   Where are you going to put it?    Can you afford to buy land to put it on?   If not, you are STILL going to be a renter.

"Where would  my sources of electricity and plumbing come from?"  From the utility companies that service the land that you rent.    Unless you buy land which is a whole different ball of wax.

"burglars can easily enter thru a door or window?"   Doors and windows are doors and windows.  If someone wants in, they will get in whether it's a house or a mobile.

"Can they withstand the weather? Rain and strong wind?"  Quality of construction varies.  What you do with your mobile home is important too.   Are you going to plunk it down on cinder blocks or is it going to be attached to a permanent foundation?   Hope you don't live in hurricane or tornado territory...

"Are rodents and other pests more likely to enter mobile homes?"  Again, depends on the mobile home, where it's located, what your lifestyle is and how well you maintain the mobile and surrounding property.

Mobile homes do not go up in value over time.  They go down in value.   In addition, lot rent goes up over time.  A mobile home is not an investment.  It's a money pit.  But it may provide you a cheaper place to live than an apartment - until your mobile home has outlived it's useful life and then what will you do?