Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 1 month ago

How to get rid of ringworm?

I've had ringworm since freshman year of high school and I graduated 2019 so I've had it for a long time now. It's on the inner thigh area too. I tried using spray and cream but it hurts. And it still won't go away so what is the best way?

• Jim

Any topical antifungal cream will work- Lotrimin AF is a good one.

Ringworm is caused by fungus infection. Darkness, heat and moisture are required for the growth of fungus. 

Purchase any anti-fungal cream from the drug store. (No prescription is required.)

Your undergarments should be washed in boiling water and allow it to dry in sun shine.

Fungal infection may recur even if the same is cured. So continue to apply the topical ointment/ anti-fungal powder.

Links:-

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000876.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinea_cruris

See a dermatologist.

Tinea can be very difficult to eradicate. Did you try something like Daktarin Gold cream and apply it sparingly a couple of times a day for a week or two? You may need a systemic medication and for that you must see your doctor; they'll need to check your liver function if you're on it long term.    Once it's back under control you may find that using Head & Shoulders shampoo twice a week is all you need, and it doesn't sting anything like as bad a Nizoral.

There's two things you need to do.  One is keeping the area dry and exposed to air.  Make sure there  is no skin to skin contact by wearing loose  underwear that is long enough to cover the infected area.

The other thing is using the right combination of antifungal medications.  The strongest medication you can get without a prescription is Nizoral shampoo.  Apply the shampoo gently and let it sit a few minutes before rinsing off.  Then after drying off, use any of the antifungal creams, and reapply the cream before bed. 

Please get a referral to a board-certified dermatologist who may evaluate the skin and if it's a fungal (yeast) infection, then the doctor may prescribe the necessary anti-fungal medication.

• Andy C

I don't ever get ringworm; only its close cousin,  but it is typically not a ring.

Lotrimin doesn't work all the way,  so I use Tolnaftate.

Tinactin

• Olive

Use lotrimin. It will help get rid of it. If not may have to go to a dermatologist

There is medication for it, works well see a doctor or dermatologist for a prescription.