Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 6 months ago

Can I tamper with a fridge to make it around 11°C (53°F) ?

I have an old fridge that is working perfectly fine, I want to use it as a wine cooler. The fridge default temperature with the highest temperature setting is around 4°C and I would like it to be around 11°C (53°F).

Is there a way to tamper with the electrics or something to make that happen?

The whole point of a fridge setting of around 4°C maximum is to prevent food from being contaminated with bacteria, which begin to develop and multiply at temperatures higher than this.

Have you ever wondered why people keep wine in cellars?

The standard temperature below ground level, i.e. a cellar is about 10 - 12°C...so, put it there. If not, you risk drinking cool wine to wash down poisonous food.

White wines can be kept at fridge temperatures, whereas reds need to be kept from about 12°C to room temperature,..i.e. about 19 - 21°C

:)> 

I am surprised to see that the highest you can set is 4 Celsius. That is low for a normal domestic fridge.

Replace the thermostat switch that has range around 11C , it was  located inside the temperature control.

• ?

You can buy thermostats specifically to do this.  The fridge plugs into the thermostat and you run a sensor inside the fridge.

https://tempstatcontrols.com/wine-or-beer-storage#...

Messing around with it is quite likely to ruin it.  

There is no way to change the working temperature limits of a refrigerator or freezer  

because the expansion valve or orifice (which is probably not replaceable) in it 

was selected to suit the original purpose for which the unit was designed. 

Wine chillers are not THAT expensive for what they do. 

Save yourself a lot of wasted time and effort by acquiring one. 

If you don't want to get rid of the old refrigerator, 

think about using it for water, fizzy drinks, and other stuff 

that tends to clutter the one you use for fresh foods. 

• JJ

Leave the door partially open.