Can i become a pilot in the Air Force with a basic bachelors degree?

Hello everyone the reason i am asking this is because i'm very interested in becoming an airplane/helicopter pilot in the Air Force. I have served 6 years in the reserves but with the current "pandemic" i cannot get any info from anyone or speak to anyone on the subject. Im a semester away from my associates and afterwards i'm going for my bachelors. I know they take officers for any degree in the branches but is that the same when it comes to pilot slots or is it only super qualified candidates? Ive heard of people becoming pilots with music degrees and business degrees but is that common? I don't know enough because i was on the enlisted side. Any answers are appreciated thank you.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You need a bachelors degree,  you need a commission as an officer.  If you can pass the flying physical you can apply for pilot training.   They are very short of pilots right now so your chances are OK.   However a lot of pilots end up flying drones so that could happen. 

• Zack
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes. I've heard about some pilot who got in with a history degree.

However, your chances are increased with a STEM degree.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A bigger question will be whether or not you can get your BS done, go through the hoops of an OTS application, get in, and get through UPT before you are too old.  If you can't get that all done in time, it really doesn't matter.  Keep in mind that it could be over a year between when you start the process and actually start OTS if this actually works out.

There are plenty of forums out there for prospective OTS applicants that will give you better answers than this place.  I know of no regulars that are/were pilots in the USAF here.  Most of those pilots you hear of with non STEM degrees probably came through ROTC or USAFA.  The OTS selection process is a completely different game.  

Another option that you could look at is the Reserves or Guard.  The AD process brings people through OTS to be some sort of pilot in the Air Force.  What they fly depends on how things work out in UPT.  The Guard and Reserves basically hire someone for an opening in a unit, so those people know what they are going to fly from the get-go.  Since you are already a Reservist, you might have some sort of shot within your own wing.

• 1 month ago

For pilot slots, what really matter is your score on the aviation portion of the Officers qualifying test.

you also must commission by your 28th birthday

associate degree have nothing to do with BS degree-- they do not mean you only have 2 years left for a BS degree

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

YOU ARE A LIAR.. IF you were for as long as you claim you would know who you need to talk to or who to call.. YOUR A LYING TROLL ho was probably not even in the boy scouts or cub scouts.

'

6 YEARS IN YOUR MAKE BELIEVE RESERVE..

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Unless you go for ROTC or the USAFA, you will be unlikely to snag one of the few remaining OTS slots for aRated Candidate.  

Furthermore, you must be commissioned before your 28th birthday.  STEM degrees are preferred

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would ask the military about it

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You'd still have to go through their train courses to become one.

• 1 month ago

Yes. Go to a college with an AFROTC. Assuming you get a pilot spot with them and you get your chance.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.