I’m a history buff & many older friends have told me that there was a time when it seemed like everyone had a family member that was in WW2?

I’m only 22, so I never really had the chance to meet many WW2 vets. However, I’m wondering if anyone here can vouch or remember what my friends told me. They’ve said that in the 1980s, it seemed like everyone had an uncle, dad, grandpa, neighbor etc who had served in WW2? 

• L

Eons ago, America had a military Draft for every male over 18-years of age.  As for WWII..................Americans were much more patriotic than they are today and they were PROUD to serve in the military to protect Freedoms and Rights for Americans.

There is a noticeable difference in the spirit of the people and the soldiers of WWII and all the wars that followed. People were eager to do things for each other in a positive manner, rationing gas and food, saving bonds, women joining the workforce to fill in for the men at war, people had a reason and spirit to feel good about fighting against injustice and our servicemen were humbled by the experience not proud of killing or participating in the atrocities of war. The wars that have followed we had a choice of enemies, the enemy did not choose us and the results are dishonor for losing or not winning those wars.

I was born in 1957, only 12 years after the war.  Both of my parents served in the U.S. Army (though they did not meet each other until after the war).  There were 1,000,000 U.S. persons who served in the war, and everyone either served or was related to or knew someone who served.  That still would have been true in the 1980's.  People who were in their 20's in the 1940's would have been in their 60's in the 1980's, and able to remember that time.  Sadly, most of the people lived through the Second World War, including both of my parents, are deceased.

If you were a combatant, a civilian in a bombed city, in a concentration camp, factory or food service worker you were in the global war known as WW2.

I think that's a pretty accurate statement. It wasn't just soldiers or sailors or pilots, either. Many women served in one capacity or another; by joining and working with the USO, by working in government offices, and by taking over jobs that had traditionally been held by men--in manufacturing, the building trades, in building military planes or ships. That's where that old poster of "Rosie the Riveter" came from. So yes--by the 1980s, a lot of these people were still alive and well. Whether men or women, they did serve and did contribute in some way. I was born in 1951--by the 1980s many of our fathers who had served were still around. Our grandparents as well. Mostly our grandparents would not have been the ones who DID serve--it was those of us born in the 50's parents who did. 

1940. 80 years ago.

involved mainly europe, united states, russia, south sea people and japan.

involved millons upon millons of people both civilan and military.

1980s forty years following.

almost anyone twenty years and older actively joined so by the eighties they be 60s.

now they be hundreds

give it your best guess history boy.

The population of the US in 1940 was 140 million.  16 million Americans served in the US armed forces. That's 11% of the population.  The odds of having no relatives who were among that 11% are exceedingly small.  Add in neighbors or other people you knew and it isn't surprising that everyone knew someone that served.

• Marli

It did seem like everyone had at least one relative who fought in World War Two.  Even I had one uncle by blood and three by marriage who were in the Canadian armed forces, plus an old acquaintance in the German army and my bus driver who fought in the Polish army and then in the Polish resistance.  They were so young and handsome in their photographs.  Late teens to mid twenties then.  All dead now. Every one of those six men carried a physical or emotional wound from the war. 

I prefer reading about the non-combattant sides of the war. The amazing efforts that "ordinary" folks made.  I recommend if you can find it "Jam Busters"(a k.a.Home Fires) by Julie Summers. It is about the country women who were members of the Women's Institutes in England.  They didn't just "put up" produce. They put up with rationing, with shortages, with making do, mending, and doing without,  with puzzling over so many forms and directives from the ministries or with keeping their husbands calm while they puzzled over the forms and with the food inspectors, with city kids evacuated to their districts, put up with their men being overseas (one was "missing in action" for more than six months before his mother was notified by the Red Cross that he was a PoW in Germany. Very rough on Mum, since he was her only child. But she was very active in the WI and WVS  Helping out was her way of "putting up" with the war and keeping sane.) What women did and endured then was simply awesome.

• blu

I used to luncheon once a month w/ Dad and his WW2 buddies. These were honorable men who didn't think they did anything that anyone else would do. They rarely talked about the war but respected any inquiry f/ me. Dad was a casualty of the war. There was a truck bed full of mattresses. He climbed on top as weight to prevent the top one f/ blowing off. The truck hit a bump, Dad went flying off and broke his arm. Bob Casey was at Iwo and one other major conflict in the Pacific. They're all deceased now.

10 million under arms, so yes in a nation of 173 million