Fire asked in HealthDental · 3 months ago

Can you walk me through what it’s like to get a tooth pulled?

I’m getting my tooth pulled out on Monday because of an abscess and I’m so scared of the dentist I can’t stop my anxiety. Please be honest is it really that bad/ painful?? And how long does it usually take?

• Edwena

It is a lot less of a problem than it used to be before the anesthetics.  You are still living in a time period where those experiences shape the current popular fears.  The first thing is that they will put you in a chair and lay you back so that you can't see anything. They also have a way of not showing you anything so you never can develop a fear.   You might ask for a pair of dark glasses or a towel over your eyes.  The first thing they do is numb the gums by applying a local anesthetic with a swab.  After that comes the worst part when he tells you that you are going to feel a stick.  That is the needle injections deep into the gum to the nerves.  I think the dentist actually needs a bit of reaction from you to be sure he is in the right place, etc.and the anesthetic works.  It feels like a pin prick and you will go ouch the first time and say nothing on the other sticks.   He will give you several injections around the tooth, but you will not know that.  Then you wait a few minutes, you don't really care.  Then the dentist comes back, you notice he is looking a you. He says you may feel a tug and then he turns around and the nurse puts some gauze in your mouth and tells you to bite down.  A few more gauze bites and they get you out of the chair and tell you to leave it alone for a day.  I think that they dentist actually has some leveraging devices that he uses because he extracts the tooth with almost no effort on his part.  You never see a thing and don't know what he did.  You go home and leave it alone.  You do what the tell you.  The next day you are back to normal, but you don't mess up the healing.  Follow their instructions. 

• k w

quack dentists= pain, Biological = no pain....I know, cuz I had teeth pulled by both, 1st the quacks, lastly was the Biological dentist and she pulled my 2 root canalled teeth that the quack dentist put in. I took the pain meds right after the teeth got pulled, and followed instructions, which were to take 1 every 15-20 min, which I did and on my way home driving myself and NOT doped or feeling drugged either like the quack

medicine...I could feel the anasthesia wear off,  but felt no pain either, nor was my jaw sore, and my gums were not sore either and bleeding was mild and it stopped in a cpl days. I'm not afraid to go to the dentists any more since getting a Biological one.....

• Marc

It is not bad. the doctor will numb you up and you dont feel anything.  You may feel a little pulling but other than that its really no big deal.  After its over you may have some pain, but the doc will give you meds to help with this.  You are making it much worse than it is. 

• kelvin

no you are not getting anything pulled as you would need to have it drained and antibiotics and than it would come out