Would it be worth it to replace the battery in my 11 year old macbook pro?

I own a mid-2009 macbook pro, that works well aside from the fact that it can’t hold a charge all day. I will be starting school again soon, and i’m worried it will die in the middle of the day while i’m using it. I need advice on what to do. Thanks!!!

hi i’m not sure who phoebe is but i can assure u my name is nora :)

why do people feel the need to comment on someone’s post *anonymously* that they are asking a stupid question. i wouldn’t ask if it if i actually needed an answer. TPWK :) i’ve only had this laptop for under a year, as it was handed down to me btw. 

If you're confident the laptop will last the year, then getting a battery is a good choice, assuming the laptop has the power to do whatever your schoolwork requires. But you should plan to replace it not later than next year, as it's getting too old to be reliable.

• David

Holy crap.  You have a computer that's 11 years old and you are worried about the BATTERY failing?  To put that in perspective, it's like driving a 50-year old car with 2,000,000 miles on it, with the original engine and original transmission in it...and wondering if you should give it a new paint job?  (facepalm)

It is rare for a computer to last 5 years with regular use.  By 2014 you were really pressing your luck, relying on this macbook pro as your daily driver.  And that was 7 years ago!!!   It is amazing that your computer has held up over time as well as it has.  But it is well past time to retire that thing...

• martin

Get a new one.  You'll never regret it.  (Been around the battery replacement mill once too often.)

How much is the battery. If it’s several hundred dollars, you might as well just get a new pro. 

How long does it lasts now. If it’s only several hours, then replace the battery if it’s cheap. 

You have to decide whether the cost of the battery is worth a few months more use of the old laptop, because it surely won't last much longer anyway and you'll have to buy something new, undoubtedly within a year.