jean
jean asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

do u know any adults who can't read or write?

• Elaine

There is a surprisingly larger percentage of people who are functionally illiterate. I used to teach adult literacy and there was no shortage of students. 

• John P

I am a library volunteer in southern England. Occasionally I help people with simple computer operations at the library's public computers.  I suspect that one woman I helped could read reasonably well, but could not type.

Just Hector Zeroni, but I taught him to read. 

Source(s): Holes
  • F

Not personally but plenty of the people on here are barely literate.

Yes, usually some migrants from Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq and some African countries who were unable to read and write in their own language.

Yes, and they're all RepubliCONS 

most of them....

• Marli

I don't know any who cannot read or write a word.  I have known a few who could not read or write in English.  I have seen on Yahoo Answers that many cannot read or write fluently in English (They ask about present day occurrences or about dead celebrities in the History section instead of in "Politics", "Business & Finance" or 'Entertainment-- Celebrities", or they ask ungrammatical questions about writing novels in "Books and Authors". It must be a joke that Americans ask for answers about their war of independence on Yahoo Answers when they have books in their public library or they can find by an internet search.

• Speed

Yes, although not many. Most I met when I taught GED classes, or accidentally discovered when their inability to read became obvious.

The ones I know fall into two tidy groups. The larger group, all older adults, had some kind of learning disability (sometimes one of a great many disabilities) which was not recognized or addressed in school. Severe dyslexia. Never learning the alphabet but being passed to the next grade and the next. Vision problems. Brain and processing problems. Mental health issues. Being high virtually all the time from a very young age, drugged by parents to control behavioral issues or simply to make the child docile and sleepy. The family on the move so the child is never in one school for long--or never in school at all.

The other group is people who were children in other countries where education is difficult to get or simply not available to the common people. They immigrated, legally or not, and worked at low-paying jobs where reading is not necessary, like farm work.

I'd like to point out that the people I've known who cannot read and write are not stupid, though they're not well educated. They learn through listening, find their way by memorizing landmarks, and have some creative, downright smart coping strategies for getting by in a world where it's shameful to be illiterate.

(I'm seeing online that about 32 million American adults cannot read. Wow.)

Go to a BLM or ANTIFA protest