Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Do you think the kids should have the mom last name?

In my opinion I think the kids should get the mom last name because most of the time the dad dont care about the kids all they do is just come home from work sit & do nothing while the girls they give birth to the babies the moms has to breast feed babies the mom has to take care of the kids most of the time the mom has to raise the kid it should be the guy last name get change to the girl last name when a couple gets married. The mom always shows love to the kids in some videos you will see some dads ignore their kids moms never do that I remember clearly this one day me my sister & my brother in law went to a park that has a river the kids wanted to go to the water so my sister went to the water with them and my brother in law just stood their doing nothing then after that he was arguing with my sister his wife that if you want to drown & safe the kids go ahead like he gives no $hit about the kids or his wife. This society is just terrible womans never had rights mens think they know everything without womans their would be no people you should give womans some damn respect heck womans are starting to be even better then men girls are starting to have good jobs like nurse or looking for better jobs while the guy just sit home have poor jobs play video game & ignore their kids. 

Linda oh yeah what els do dads do besides coming back home from job ? That right their just because a dad has a job people automatic think the he a good farther.    

Guess you girls are to use to the men's doing everything for you. 

Uh right. Family decision. We all have my husband's last name because why the heck not- it makes us all match.

My take on this is whoevers name isnt as strong. So a smith vs a *insert small family name here*. The idea is to keep the family tree alive and to have a family that continues on. It might not be a common way to look at it but its my own.

Traditionally the wife took her husband's surname when they got married. His surname became her surname, and her father's surname became her maiden name. So when children were born to the marriage they took their parents' surname.

So if a child gets the mother's maiden surname, many people would assume that the mother either didn't know the father's surname or the father wasn't willing to put his name on the birth certificate. And this labels the child as one born out of wedlock, traditionally known as a "b@st@rd".

If the mother IS married, but keeps her maiden name and gives it to the child as a surname, people would assume that she had the children to some other guy before they got married. Which labels her as a "slvt", her child as a b@st@rd" and her husband as a loser who married a single mother.

Now this is very old-fashioned thinking, but it still exists in our society. You could give your child the mother's surname in order to advance the cause of feminism, but your child may be the one who suffers for it. Parents shouldn't use their children to fight ideological battles for them.

You should give the child the father's surname whenever possible. 

Your example of your sister and brother-in-law is unusual, and very sad. Traditionally fathers would be happy to teach their children swimming and other new kills, even if they didn't believe they should do the housework. Your brother-in-law isn't representative of most fathers.

Oh ffs.  This reads like a 9 year old wrote it.  It can also be reported, because you're not asking a question here.  There are  plenty of great dads everywhere.  I have one, all my friends have them, and my boyfriend's dad is one of my favorite people ever.  Find a way to suck it up and deal, because this is FACT. 

You're talking about one specific case and not the norm. Parents can give their kids whatever surname they wish, but you only end up with a father who doesn't care if you choose to procreate with an uncaring man. 

The first name should be the given name, the middle name should be that of the mother and the last name should be that of the father.Is there any problem if we accept this compromise formula There is no need to change the last name of a girl  after marriage because the relationship has come out of a contract and not  out of biological reasons. we  have all come from a union of  ovum and sperm  though the mother's contribution in bringing us up  is far far greater than that of the father.It is not proper to generalize the behavior of all fathers to the  extent  that they are least bothered about the safety , health and well being of their children and watching  videos,   gaming etc are only their main interest.

Unless you don't like your last name.. Give both last name hyphen (Summer winter-Spring) .. Having the father's last name only is oh so outdated..the kid have a right to both names and they can choose which to keep in the long run when older if any. 

My kid got both my and spouse name and I didn't take spouse name when married either. (again outdated) 

Your sister married the guy, did she take his last name? That's pretty much the deciding factor for me on what the last name of the kids should be. 

The modern trend might be for guys to spend a lot of time goofing off online, but that is the woman's choice to settle for one that does that. Historically, men have had more rights, but only men of wealth and power really got to enjoy it. 100 years ago, going to work was a pretty brutal experience unless it was an office job, which were not common. OSHA didn't exist, and men worked long hours of back breaking work. There weren't many unionized companies, and so they had to work for as long as the boss said they had to. Things are much better now, but still you're saying men don't appreciate women, which is wrong, a man is a mature adult that recognizes and values his spouse for her contribution and helps with the kids. Still providing for a family isn't easy, and if the guy is primarily responsible for earning the money to keep the bills paid, he is deserving of some respect for that. What have you asked of your father that he did not do? You don't sound very informed.

• Linda

Many dads work and are good Fathers and most don't set around playing video games and ignore their kids all day. Many couples combine their last names with a hyphen so the kids can have both names. If it bugs you, do that.

I think kids tend to do better when they feel that they belong to a tribe that has two parents and everyone has the same last name whether they live together or not.