Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

If I am writting a book can I get sued?

If I am writing a book about my old job and coworkers, kinda like journal entry's, can I get sued? I did not put any personal information, or any names, any descriptive details, and I didn't name the company's name, can I get sued?

It is possible that you can get sued for writing that book.

There is a possibility that you could, if enough people know about the company and the people who worked there,

Change their names 

What would you be sued FOR?  If you used no information that can be directly associated with your old job, or the people who worked there, there is no connection that can be made. You can always write a disclaimer that "this is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons or places is purely coincidental."  

Even if you're writing a 'tell-all' book--you have a right to do that. You can say it's your point of view--nothing illegal about that. Or a personal experience--nothing illegal about that either. "This is what happened to me" is all you need to say. You can also state in the beginning "Names and personal details have been changed to protect identities."  There are lots of ways to do what you want without worrying about being sued. 

And remember--to BE sued, you'd have to have your book read. Don't count your chickens before they hatch here--if no one reads it they can't sue you. And you just never know who or how many people will actually read your book until you get it published. 

• I sounds like an interesting book when you use such words as "Kinda" there is no such word.

• Speed

Yes, you can be sued, even if you never identify the company or use people's names.

Edit: A disclosure that it's a work of fiction offers no legal protection. Just so you know.

If people who know you, or figure out who you are, can also figure out who you're talking about, and if what your book says constitutes libel and/or defamation, then you most certainly can be sued. Even if you win, the cost of legal representation will far exceed what you might make on such a book.

This doesn't mean you should not write it. Organizing and airing your grievances on the page can be cathartic, allowing you to let go of the feelings they stir up. But it's unwise to publish it.

And if you do publish it despite warnings, you absolutely need to hire a competent editor, since there are some obvious issues with your abilities as a writer.

• Marli

If your boss and co-workers figure out and can prove that you wrote unpleasant things about them, or damaging things about the company, they could sue you. If you can prove that what you wrote was the truth, or that your book was not about them, you could win the lawsuit, or you could countersue.

You should improve your written English, unless you want your book to sound like your question. "Kinda like" is acceptable colloquial speech for someone who has graduated from high school but not from a university. (The elementary school teachers should have corrected that, but we don't always adhere to the distinction between "classroom English" and "English spoken among ourselves".) If your job was on an assembly line or a farm/ranch, I think you would say "kinda like". If you were a teacher or worked in a bank, you would say "like", not "kinda like".

• Tina

If you write something unpleasant about your co-workers, and they can be identified, then yes you can definitely be sued.

The whole first run of a novel had to be pulped because the author had used the name of a well-known person for one of her characters.

• Andrew

I can't imagine that there'd be a ton of interest in a book written by someone who's unfamiliar with the distinction between plurals and possessives. 

• Cogito

Yes, that's a definite possibility.

But you won't need to worry about that for some time.  Concentrate on improving your English.  Learning how to spell 'writing' would be a good start.  If you use the words 'and' and 'or' there should not be a comma before them.

Also, plurals are not formed by using apostrophes.  That's really basic stuff which most kids learn by the age of 6.  One entry, two or more entries.