Anonymous

English-Americans, what do you think of your ethnic background?

My ancestors were mostly English and my family has been in the US since before 1776.

While I acknowledge being privileged due to  being white and the racism that people of color face and have faced, I’m appreciative of being English-American.

England and its people, and its offshoot countries, have been a force for democracy around the world and have overall done good things for the world, and England has pretty consistently won wars and freed people.

So I am happy to be English-American.

And you?

I have ancestors who were here from England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany and France well before the American Revolution. My feelings about that are pretty slim. I my interest is more in being an American and knowing that despite our flaws the vast majority of our citizens want to do what is right. That is why over the centuries we have made basic changes to our laws and even the Constitution. The  US will probably never be perfect but that is the goal we all strive for.

• Magui

I'm not English-American. I think you should recognise that, despite many positive things about England, this country has been a colonial power subjugating many people around the world in quite a negative way, exploring resources all around the world and promoting wars just to take advantage out of it. The US has been having a very similar role in he world always promoting wars just to take benefits and maintain its role as a leader in the world.

Most "english" americans are actually ethnic celtic persons and ethnic celtic americans are proud of their history in the americas.

I think the British are bigots who attacked half the world, and most people don't forget how they treated them.

"English" Americans are simply propagating lies told by to them by their fathers. There were other groups of people in the US too and their off shoot cultures are still very much there.

And no, democracy came from the Grecos and Roman Latins but then again, so did western civilization.

Yeah, Latins come from Europe too. That whole divide in the Americas doesn't really historically exist. There are as many Romance decedents as there are people claiming British, Irish, Scott in the US too. And you can still move around the US without speaking English.