Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

Can I open my laptop,remove the CPU,etc and use them to build a desktop pc;?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Sure, if you want a new paperweight.

• 1 month ago

No no no no

Hardware setup and programming is different

especially that desktop pc is taking size per each part

things will not fit together

• 1 month ago

You cannot put a notebook CPU in a desktop motherboard. If you want a notebook CPU in your desktop, you basically need to put notebook components in a desk case. ... What you can probably do is buy a low-end desktop CPU that will have a low TDP. These, however, are likely to have relatively poor performance

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

you cannot do that

the assembly of components in a laptop

is entirely different from a desktop computer

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The only part you can use in a PC build would be the 2.5" or M.2 storage drive. The rest of the parts are unusable. If the laptop has a 2.5" traditional platter hard drive then it won't be worth using, unless you need it for pictures. 2.5" traditional drives move too slow.

They do make SO-DIMM to standard DIMM adapters but these aren't worth using because laptop memory is generally slower. Someone might point this out but it's not a viable option.Older laptops use a socketed PGA CPU, which uses a different socket than desktop boards. Around 2013 is when manufacturers began to solder the CPU directly to the motherboard. Even if the CPU was compatible, it would not be worth using seeing how a lowly Core i3-10100 would be better suited for gaming.

Your question shows that you need to do some research into building a PC, what the hardware does, and how it will perform. There's a world of difference between a Core i5-2410m and a Core i5-10400. 

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

90% of modern laptops have the CPU directly soldered to the motherboard. If the CPU is socketed, you might be able but laptop CPUs are usually built with power saving, reduced heat and as a consequence will be under powered compared to their desktop counterparts, so it is generally not recommended. Similarly 2.5 laptop hard drives are slower than 3.5 desktop hard drives. Laptop SODIMM RAM won’t fit on desktop motherboards.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.