Is it OK to use 5W-20 oil in an engine rated for 5W-30?

I got the wrong type of oil by mistake.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No, engines like it thinner especially if it's a newer car. Even if you live in the Sonoran desert it's okay. Don't use an additive to thicken.

• 2 months ago

Yes it is okay. The engine specifications for oil are recommended , not required.

• 2 months ago

As long as you don't drive like Senna or live somewhere like Arizona or Saudi Arabia in the summer, you'd probably get by fine using 5w20.  Some manufacturers specifically allow for the use of 5w30 oil if 5w40 isn't available (Volkswagen/Audi for example) and the difference in viscosity between a Xw40 and a Xw30 oil at 250°F is greater than the difference between an Xw30 and Xw20 oil at 250°F.

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If you live somewhere very hot I’d be careful and in any case don’t drive hard.  

The 5 is right which is most important since it is the cold rating and most engine wear occurs in the few seconds after starting before the oil gets pumped round.Use the right oil ASAP , not worth risking expensive engine damage for £25 or so.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

In the Winter cold you can get away with it but I'd buy the correct weight oil for the Summer heat! Save the thinner oil for cold weather. It's not worth ruining bearings over $32.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It won't blow up,  but I wouldn't do it. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. Get the correct oil.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I wouldn't risk it. The 20 figure means less protection at full engine temperature. I am sure they will change it if unopened.

• 2 months ago

I wouldn't do it.  Given that the oil can is not open why don't you go back where you bought the oil to see if you can swap it for the 30 weight.

20 weight means that oil is thinner than the 30 wt.  And that means your engine might break through the thinner oil and end up metal against metal when it runs.  That would not be good for that engine.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

yeah just change it after like 4k miles.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.