Is it OK to use 5W-20 oil in an engine rated for 5W-30?

I got the wrong type of oil by mistake.

No, engines like it thinner especially if it's a newer car. Even if you live in the Sonoran desert it's okay. Don't use an additive to thicken.

Yes it is okay. The engine specifications for oil are recommended , not required.

As long as you don't drive like Senna or live somewhere like Arizona or Saudi Arabia in the summer, you'd probably get by fine using 5w20.  Some manufacturers specifically allow for the use of 5w30 oil if 5w40 isn't available (Volkswagen/Audi for example) and the difference in viscosity between a Xw40 and a Xw30 oil at 250°F is greater than the difference between an Xw30 and Xw20 oil at 250°F.

• F

If you live somewhere very hot I’d be careful and in any case don’t drive hard.  

The 5 is right which is most important since it is the cold rating and most engine wear occurs in the few seconds after starting before the oil gets pumped round.Use the right oil ASAP , not worth risking expensive engine damage for £25 or so.

In the Winter cold you can get away with it but I'd buy the correct weight oil for the Summer heat! Save the thinner oil for cold weather. It's not worth ruining bearings over $32.

• Andy C

It won't blow up,  but I wouldn't do it. 

No. Get the correct oil.

• Barry

I wouldn't risk it. The 20 figure means less protection at full engine temperature. I am sure they will change it if unopened.

I wouldn't do it.  Given that the oil can is not open why don't you go back where you bought the oil to see if you can swap it for the 30 weight.

20 weight means that oil is thinner than the 30 wt.  And that means your engine might break through the thinner oil and end up metal against metal when it runs.  That would not be good for that engine.

yeah just change it after like 4k miles.