What percent of people you know are left-handed, would you say?

We can all agree that the majority of us are right-handed, no doubt about that. And I know it's often said that lefties only make up about 10% of the population, but based on the people I know, I really don't think it's THAT low. I'm thinking more along the lines of 15-20%. And BTW I'm not a lefty, but I've always found the "handedness" concept so interesting. 

My father was left handed. 

Aside from him, I only have known one. 

That's a rather low percentage.

I am actually one of the ambi-dextrous ones.  Which sounds good, but, actually can have it's issues!

I don't think I have every really noticed the numbers of lefties around me. I would accept the 10% number though; it does not seem to be higher to me.  But, handedness varies; some are VERY right handed, and cannot do anything with their other hand, but, some can, even though they are right handed

There are many sources on the net (including Wikipedia "Handedness") that state the approximate number of left-handers is 10% of any random population.  Your anecdotal experience (along with some of the people answering) is irrelevant.  Historically there have been societies that do not allow left-handedness, by forcing the child to use their right hand ... that has occurred in the United States as recently as the 1960's.  In many Asian societies, eating with the left-hand, especially in public, is considered extremely rude.  While there are people that are "super" left-handed, virtually no one is exclusively left-handed.  Part of the reason for that is we live in a right-handed dominant world.  For example, the computer monitor I am looking at has all the control buttons on the right side.  Most lefties, like myself, have learned to use right-handed scissors.  Because I am right-eye dominant, I shoot firearms right-handed.  But some things cannot be explained, for example I shave my legs with my right hand.  I have no idea why, but I can only use a razor with my right hand.

• Ann

Most of my teacher friends, including me, are left-handed.

• Rick

well as 2 of our 4 kids are, that would be 2 out of 6, or 30% .........