What percent of people you know are left-handed, would you say?

We can all agree that the majority of us are right-handed, no doubt about that. And I know it's often said that lefties only make up about 10% of the population, but based on the people I know, I really don't think it's THAT low. I'm thinking more along the lines of 15-20%. And BTW I'm not a lefty, but I've always found the "handedness" concept so interesting. 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

My father was left handed. 

Aside from him, I only have known one. 

That's a rather low percentage.

• 3 months ago

I am actually one of the ambi-dextrous ones.  Which sounds good, but, actually can have it's issues!

I don't think I have every really noticed the numbers of lefties around me. I would accept the 10% number though; it does not seem to be higher to me.  But, handedness varies; some are VERY right handed, and cannot do anything with their other hand, but, some can, even though they are right handed

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

There are many sources on the net (including Wikipedia "Handedness") that state the approximate number of left-handers is 10% of any random population.  Your anecdotal experience (along with some of the people answering) is irrelevant.  Historically there have been societies that do not allow left-handedness, by forcing the child to use their right hand ... that has occurred in the United States as recently as the 1960's.  In many Asian societies, eating with the left-hand, especially in public, is considered extremely rude.  While there are people that are "super" left-handed, virtually no one is exclusively left-handed.  Part of the reason for that is we live in a right-handed dominant world.  For example, the computer monitor I am looking at has all the control buttons on the right side.  Most lefties, like myself, have learned to use right-handed scissors.  Because I am right-eye dominant, I shoot firearms right-handed.  But some things cannot be explained, for example I shave my legs with my right hand.  I have no idea why, but I can only use a razor with my right hand.

• Ann
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Most of my teacher friends, including me, are left-handed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Rick
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

well as 2 of our 4 kids are, that would be 2 out of 6, or 30% .........

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.