Is my special education son entitled to attend a program stated in his IEP even though he just graduated?

My son is a special education high school grad last June 2020. The last CSE meeting was done a few days before graduation. He is supposed to attend a program that will make him be exposed to practical hands on job experience knowledge and skills and it was stated in his 2019 IEP. They however, let him graduate without attending the program. Wrote the superintendent but her subordinate responded that they can't allow him to attend that program anymore because he already graduated. He didn't have transition planning and vocational assessment and now this all important program. How can he find a job with his many deficiencies? Is he entitled to go through with this program even though they pushed him to graduate? He is good with computers but without this program he will be lost and helpless.

7 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    He is your child. Why did YOU let him graduate without attending? Once graduated, IDEA is over. The school district has no more responsibilities.

  • Expat
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    You should talk to your state representative, school board president, congressman and anyone else that’ll listen to you. There may be a community education program that will be able to give him the same course. If all else fails go to your local network TV news stations. Seems like because of the pandemic he’s fallen through a crack and him being special needs you’d be surprised how many people would be interested. Remember this is an election year, so get in it ASAP! 

  • 2 months ago

    He has graduated, so cannot go to the high school anymore. However, there are still possibilities for assistance with educational/vocational training. I would contact your county's disability services and/or look for a vocational rehabilitation option nearby. 

  • 2 months ago

    Congratulations on your son graduating high school. At the CSE meeting before he graduated the concern should have been voiced that the school was trying to push him to graduate when he hadn't finished and completed high school. If the program was stated in his IEP, then he should have attended the program before he graduated from high school. Write the superintendent back and ask who to contact and what options are there for transition planning, vocational assessments and programs like the program he was supposed to attend before he graduated. It isn't the job of the high school to find him a job with his many deficiencies.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Broks, the first thing you need to do is contact the state agency which serves developmentally disabled or intellectually disabled people in your state. ALL states have an agency of this sort, although they go by different titles. Check the Blue pages of your local phone book (or you can go online to your state's website) for contact information. Give the Intake or Applicant Services unit (some states also call that office the Eligibility/Enrollment unit) a call and find out how to apply for services from the agency. You can also go online, if they have a website, and apply there. This is an important step, because your son should be able to qualify for services from the state,including vocational training, supported employment, independent life skills training, and so forth. Given what you said in your question, I am assuming he has Autism. If so, then you need to be aware that although it's unfortunate that the school didn't do their job as far as giving him training, that doesn't mean you and he are without resources. At his age, he should have started transitioning to adult services from your state's ID/DD agency long before now. That's also why applying to the ID/DD agency in your state is so important. They can help him find a job and give him the coaching, training, and life skills he needs to support himself and become a productive adult. I'd also look into your state's DVR agency (Division of Vocational Rehabilitation) and find out from them what THEY can offer to someone with his disabilities. Chances are good it's a lot.

    You also need to start looking around for other non-profits or groups in your area that provide counseling, training, and referrals to people with Autism and related disabilities. The Autism Society is one of these- they have chapters in all 50 states, in DC, and in Puerto Rico and/or the US Virgin Islands. There's also the United Way, which helps people with disabilities like your son's to get needed services in the community, and provides volunteer opportunities. Autism Speaks is another advocacy group for people with Autism spectrum disorders. They provide a wide variety of services.

    Still another potential resource for your son would be a local community college or even a university, if there is one near your home. Most colleges and universities have services available to help students with special needs to succeed. You would need to contact the Admissions Office for more information about what any particular school offers.

    Source(s): I work for a state agency that serves adults and children with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I also have mild Autism.
  • 2 months ago

    are you in the US?   Committee on Special Education (this is a NY and maybe other state term)?  YOU DO NOT SAY THIS IS A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY....if that is not the case, do not contact a DD agency.....there is no indication that it is autism or intellectual disability, or brain injury, or deafness, blindness, other health impaired, ADHD, etc.

    if it is autism, research  autism speaks, many people in the autism community find them offensive, although supposedly they are changing.

    what was the purpose of the CSE meeting.

    You and he (if he was 18 and not under guardianship) chose to accept the graduation even though IEP goals were not met.  He was not forced to graduate unless he aged out (21).

    You and the adult student are part of the team...equally responsible...if you wanted more services, the time to request was before graduation.

    That being said, from my research, at least in some states, if he got some type of IEP or special ed certificate and not an actual high school diploma, he can continue in public school through age 21 or until he gets an actual diploma.

    But as a HS grad, he can get career services through the state dept of vocational rehab.

  • 2 months ago

    please find the local association of volunteers [many of them parents] who support people with disabilities.  Some of them have gone through this before and will have both answers and possible references to a sympathetic attorney.  Unfortunately, the public schools try to cut costs as quickly as possible.  many people who are eligible for services remain eligible until they are 21.  also, community colleges and vo tech schools may have services for people with disabilities as well.  -- grampa  [married 32 years to Professor of Special Education]  -- sadly, answer may depend on pushing the school and school board -- and also on state law in your state [which we don't know because we don't know where you are]

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.