Why do banks always put new account check holds for 9 business days instead of 5 days?

By the 5th business day the check should clear.

• L

You need to discuss this with your bank.  It appears every bank has their own rules about this.

Because new accounts are more risky.  And checks can clear and then be pulled back if they are determined to be fraudulent.

I had my account debited by a collection agency a few weeks ago. The credit union paid it and charged me a $32 overdraft.  It was not my bill and I did not authorize it. So I disputed it, signed something and they removed it.

You could deposit a stolen check and it clears but it still be fraudulent.

Look up "chexsystems" I have a feeling they are in your future.

If it bounces (doesn't clear), they don't find out by the 5th business day.

Why do all credit cards now require a week for a payment to clear before they reinstate your credit?

Because it's a NEW ACCOUNT.  They need to research YOUR financial records to determine your fiscal responsibility, or lack of it.

Once that information is verified I'm sure future checks will be only 5 days.

In the meantime...CHILL.