How often will I need my HS transcript? ?

How often will I need my HS transcript in employment, various things? If a private High School closes, can you request that your employer hold onto your transcript permently since it may not be possible to get them later

It depends on the employer.  Some with take you word that you gradated and others will require proof via an official transcript.  You are also welcome to request an official paper transcript from your high school that you can keep in a file.

Once a person has a few years of experience, most employers don't care about high school transcripts.  Once a person goes on to earn a higher degree (AA/AS, BA/BS) the high school transcript is unnecessary.

You should never ask an employer to hold onto a document for you.  

• John P

Slightly confused question? Surely: "...request that your employer NOT hold on...."

The first two job you get you might have to bring transcripts but after that just write down that you graduated with honors any that is all you have to do later on as you go through jobs, as we do always get fired because a hot woman wants a job. Or guy!  How ever the boss swings

• drip

You need to hold on to your high school diploma proving you have a high school degree. Employers are not going to request your high school transcript. 

You will need it for college. You can request your official high school transcript from your school when you graduate.  It will come in a sealed and signed envelope. Do not open it.  I will assume you can ask for several of them , since most student do apply to 3-6 colleges. 

only if you are applying to college.........

employers will never ask you for that.

you might need them for jobs or to go to college

• David

If you apply to college, you might need a HS transcript.  The problem is, if the college wants to see it, then it must come STRAIGHT from the high school.  I imagine they might make an exception and accept a copy straight from the student if the college can confirm your story that your High School is closed forever.  

As for employment and "various things", you would never need a HS transcript outside of applying for college.  A few odd employers might ask for a COPY of your high school DIPLOMA, but not the transcript.  Even then, this is rare.  I've been out of HIGH school for about 40 years, and I've only had to present a COPY of my high school DIPLOMA twice.  

Best advice I could give is to store high-quality digital copies of both your high school diploma and your HS transcript, somewhere in the cloud.  (google drive account free, or something like that).  In fact, keep it in a couple of places.  In the odd chance that anybody asks for it, you can either send them the digital file by e-mail or just download the digits and print a hardcopy....