Is it necessary to learn binary when you get into coding or robotics?

You are right Eddiej. I don't want to be a programmer. Ok. Thanks for pointing it out. But I am interested in learning it as a hobby. What's wrong with that. It's my life. Congratulations.

• User

It's still pretty essential that you learn the principles of binary logic.

Since there's not much to it, that shouldn't be a problem.

• Me M

I don't think they have to learn it in the way you think it does. Programmers typically write in "high-level" languages like C, C++, Java, Python, etc. and use compilers to convert the human-readable code to the binary code that computers use. A professional programmer will typically have a basic understanding of how to count integers in binary, but not much beyond that.

Some software fields require the use of low-level assembly languages. While some basic understanding of binary operations is required for that, the programmer will still use a program, called an assembler, to convert their human-readable CPU instructions into the the binary code that the computer uses.

definitely not, unless you want to look cool

Not necessarily although knowing binary does help

• VP

It comes with the territory, I'd say.

- Binary

- Decimal

- Hexadecimal

Learn all 3!

You may or may not need to learn Binary, it is totally up to you and the types of things that you are going to be wanting to be able to do, But I would highly recommend that you learn Binary !

Source(s): your cmd. programming

no. you dont need to learn any computerese.

depends on what you buy.

Hi, Kitty.

Do you know that there are 10 different kinds of people:

those who understand binary,

and those who don't.

• EddieJ

If you think that you will have difficulty learning binary then computer programming is probably not something you should do as a job.  

It seems that the fact that you even asked this question is probably evidence that you really don't want to be a programmer.  In other words, it seems like you are looking for an excuse.

If it's a yes-no question then that's binary!