When driving manual, what speeds are time to shift into a new gear?

Is it something like this?

1: 0-15

2: 15-30

3: 30-45

4: 45-60

5: 60+

• F

Sounds reasonable unless you’re a mini cab driver , then it’s

1&2 don’t exist

3rd 0-30

Skip 4th  

5th 30+

NO! It depends on the engine size, fuel type, gear ratios, traffic conditions, and the fuel economy you want to get. 

If you drive a diesel it's okay to shift at lower RPMs because they produce plenty of torque at those levels.

On my 1.6 liter 6 speed hyundai accent, if there is no traffic around I don't usually shift until about 2500 rpm or about 10 mph. I go from 2500 rpms to 1500rpms, then 2500rpm, to 1500 rpm, then 2300 rpm, to 1500 rpm.

It doesn't matter what speed you're doing. You go by the RPM and load on the engine. If i'm in traffic and trying to keep up with other people I will be shifting around 3000-3500 rpm

Is it something like that? 

YES, if you're getting on an expressway or highway. 

Otherwise it's NO. 

You use the gear/rpm that you NEED. 

You being inexperienced, do not yet understand your needs. 

It's related to engine rpm and your driving situation. 

I'm in 5th gear (overdrive) at 35 mph if I expect to just stay at 35 and drive continuously. 

I've driven a manual transmission for longer than you are old. 

A thumb down is ignorant! 

Depends.  My old Tercel was about like that.  I added tach, I learned to shift at 2000-2400.

EDIT: This is Exactly what it said in my old car's manual--there was No Tach. Even my Harley gives Shift Speeds, Not RPM. I have learned to not let her lug (below 2,000) nor normally downshift above 2400.

• Anton

Old Air-cooled Volkswagens had red marks on the speedometer to let you when to shift out of gear.

If you want to KNOW, you need a tachometer.

Listen to the engine, look at the tachometer. Don't redline and feel how the engine produces power in each RPM range, per gear. You just have to get used to how that feels. Shift up to the next gear when the engine doesn't have to bog down there. Your owner's manual might say how to do it.

• Barry

You use your ears. You learn when to change up or down according to the engine note.

Shifting is best done by reference to engine rpm, not speedometer because It depends on the engine and gear ratios of the transmission and gearbox. . Once you know how to listen, your ears can help a lot with knowing when to shift. 

It depends entirely on the vehicle - there's no 'standard speed to change gear' that applies to all cars because the engines have different RPM ranges, power bands, and the transmissions have different numbers of gears that are spaced out differently.

You have to do it by sound and feel - which is part of the draw of a manual transmission in the first place, because it puts the driver into the process - rather than just pressing the gas/brake and steering.

What kind of terrain you are currently on (uphill/downhill/flat), and what kind of terrain you see ahead, what other traffic is doing, if you are attempting to pass, see a traffic light or stop sign ahead, etc. etc. - all of these dictate when (and if) you upshift, downshift, pop it into neutral, or just stay in the gear you are already in.

depends on the vehicle, load and terrain. It's usually best to let the engine tell you when to change gears.